Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

xp to windows 7

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tawleedo

tawleedo

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 09 November 2011 - 07:38 PM

hi everyone im new here so i hope i get this right ... i want to install windows 7 on my xp media center edition version 2002 service pack 3 2.80 ghz with 960mb ram ..ok i have a few bugs so what i was thinking is to do a destructive recovery and then install windows 7 theres nothing important so im not worried losing any files ..will this work or is this a crazy idea !!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 09 November 2011 - 08:22 PM

Hi tawleedo and Welcome -

Upgrading from Windows XP to Windows 7 I find this the better guide to go from XP to Windows 7 (from M/soft).

Regards -

#3 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 09 November 2011 - 08:31 PM

You can't perform a direct upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 7 if that is what you are asking. You can possibly replace XP with windows 7. It may also be possible to setup a duel boot consisting of Windows XP and Windows 7.

Considerations for installing Windows 7:

Regards,
Brooks

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 09 November 2011 - 09:56 PM

Upgrading from Windows XP to Windows 7<<- is a common Google term.
If you want several links, just copy and paste this term into your Google browser, and there are many ideas.

The one I linked above also contains the; Is your present hardware / software compatible with windows 7 item included in it.
With only 960mb ram I think a dual boot is a bit out of the question at this time, but may be an option later.
You seem to only just have enough space for a single boot now, so I still use my link when I install Win 7 on an XP based unit -
Plenty of good reading material for you in both posts, so please look them over and then make a final decision :wink:

Good luck on your adventure - :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users