Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What's using memory?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SlowAcer

SlowAcer

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 09 November 2011 - 06:34 PM

Hi,
I have an Acer travelmate 2420 Laptop computer and my C drive is almost full. It says that I only have 2.59 GB free of 37.2 GB. How can I find what is using up the memory? It is just a laptop used at home. I have about 900MB on programs/software installed, so how can I find out what else is using the other 34GB?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 09 November 2011 - 06:49 PM

That's not memory, that's disk space. You can use a program such as treesize to check: http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/index.shtml

The likelihood is that system restore is using a great deal of space. You can use disk cleanup to delete all but the current restore point.

#3 SlowAcer

SlowAcer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 09 November 2011 - 07:14 PM

Thanks for that - I will give it a go.
Regarding the system restore . . . Originally I only had one restore point, but I followed instructions (from somewhere) that showed how you could tweak something to save more restore points. As my previous XP computer had several restore points, which I liked, I changed this one to give me more restore points. I may have to change this back again. Can you advise me on what it was I changed?

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 10 November 2011 - 07:33 AM

I'm guessing in increased the space allotted to System Restore (System Properties - System Restore)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users