Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP fresh install reboots during setup

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 geno368

geno368

• Members
  • 255 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 09 November 2011 - 06:18 PM

I am working on a Compaq Presario SR1403wm desktop running Windows XP Home. 120gb Seagate Pata HD, 512MB ram. The HD crashed(this is a replacement). I boot to the cd drive and Windows starts copying files and drivers. Then the notation comes up that setup is starting windows. In about 3 seconds, it reboots. This has happened 6 times. This is what I have done:
Ran Memtest for 1 hr - no problems
swapped out the optical drive - same results
used another OE xp cd - same results
ran Seagate Seatools diagnostic short scan- no problems
remove cmos battery and reinstalled after 30 minutes
ran a cpu and motherboard diagnostic test - no problems shown
I went into bios and disabled the floppy since it doesn't have one and then changed it back to the defaults.
Any other suggestions? Thanks very much.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 09 November 2011 - 08:33 PM

Ran Memtest for 1 hr - no problems

Hi geno -
I think that if you mean Memtest86, it needs to run for more than 1 hour, even if it only has 1 small stick of RAM.
Normally I would run this for about 8 hours or so -

"""ran Seagate Seatools diagnostic short scan- no problems"""
Also I think the long test would be better if you are looking for problems.

Just my opinion on it -
Regards -

Edited by noknojon, 09 November 2011 - 08:35 PM.

#3 kbit

kbit

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2011 - 02:43 AM

Just a word from experience , I`ve had several compaq computers go into continuous reboot and my advice to you is simply strip all useable parts and junk it.After the fourth or fifth one the above advice became my way of "fixing" it . I am not a tech guy but i believe a motherboard component failure is responsible . And they ran perfect until the reboot thing and I never found a fix { and i tried everything } So remember this post in the days ahead amd i truly hope you have better luck than i ?

Edited by kbit, 10 November 2011 - 02:58 AM.

#4 geno368

geno368
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 255 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2011 - 08:45 AM

Thanks for the responses...I am wondering if a bios flash may be in order..or is there a fixmbr possibility?

I will re-run the 2 tests and reply...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users