Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

APC UPS Monitoring Software

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 joggiwagga

joggiwagga

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 09 November 2011 - 02:20 PM

First off: I am a complete beginner with Ubuntu and attempting to handle a task handed to me.

We have a server running Ubuntu 10.04 that was set up for local history archives. We have APC SmartUPS-750 which comes with PowerChute - and has an RPM package for Linux.

From the research I've done there seems to be two general options:
-convert the RPM to a DEB using something like Alien, since the RPM will not install as is to Ubuntu. I have tried this and got a whole bunch of errors, and if even with all that it worked there's no indication of where the translated file is (and is actually a frequent comment on the articles describing how to do the conversion).
-install an appropriate option through the Software Manager, such as APCUPSD <http://apcupsd.com/>. I've done this (and uninstalled the same way)... but I do not know where to get in and access the program now that it is installed. I have been looking through the instruction manual (as well as those of other similar options) and for the most part they have instructions for other Linux options, such as RedHat, but not Ubuntu, which means command lines are not going to be identical.

I can manage command line if I know where to start. I state this qualifier since frequently instructions assume I know certain things and are not intended to be entered as soon as I open a Terminal. In my explorations I know I've installed and uninstalled APCUPSD several times, before ultimately doing it through the Terminal interface.

What I need to do:
-figure out how to open the program interface
-make sure its running (and will run automatically even if not logged in)
-ensure that if we lose power the machine will gracefully shut down. This I realize is specific to what I have installed so I am not expecting help on this, but I figure if I can take care of the first two I can get this third taken care of.

That is it. I know there is more that can be done, but I can do without it. The concern is the preservation of the digitized archival files, and safeguarding from damage. Unless the Archivist or myself are around if there is a power outage no one will think to go downstairs and take care of the servers.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users