Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble Connecting with Virgin Mobile Device

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 equinecpa

equinecpa

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 09 November 2011 - 12:10 PM

I have a question on the virgin mobile mifi device. I took my device on a trip with me to CO. I tried to connect at our cottage and was unable to get an internet connection. When I turned on the device it showed as signal strength excellent in my laptop network connection window. I'd go through the activation screens, shut down the device and restart and be back at square one.

What I don't know is: What does signal strength excellent mean in the network connection of a laptop? Does it mean the connection with the mifi device is excellent or does it mean that it is actually getting an excellent signal from the ISP in this case Virgin Mobile? I'm concerned as I know the location is right on the fringe of their coverage area. If I knew whether I was getting a signal or not it sure would make diagnosing easier. I didn't have working cell phone coverage where I was so I was unable to contact Virgin Mobile at the time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,483 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 09 November 2011 - 12:30 PM

You most likely have no cell coverage for the mifi device thus you have no connection to the Internet. The "excellent" signal strength on the laptop is the signal of the wifi coming from the mifi device that goes to the laptop not the signal strength of the cell signal from a tower to the mifi device.
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 equinecpa

equinecpa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 15 November 2011 - 10:46 PM

Thank-you that's what I thought I was seeing.

#4 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,483 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 15 November 2011 - 11:45 PM

Your welcome. :)
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users