Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xbox 360 causing wireless to lag

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 wignall6

wignall6

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 09 November 2011 - 11:37 AM

Hello,

I have been experiencing some issues with my wireless, it was been working fine for around 3 months and today my brother started playing his Xbox and all our internet has started lagging. I know it is the Xbox because all day I have not experienced one problem, but then once he comes online it all starts lagging.

I have a D-LINK DIR-615 Router.

I have read somewhere it is good to open to Xbox live ports, does anyone else experience this same problem?

Thanks, Tom.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Fozzies

Fozzies

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 09 November 2011 - 05:30 PM

I woulda thought it more likely he was just using all your bandwidth.lack of port forwarding would only affect the xbox, not you. what results does a speedtest.net achieve when he isnt playing? What results do you get when he is playing?

#3 wignall6

wignall6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2011 - 06:00 PM

I get around 19Mbps when his off, but only 9Mbps when he is playing.

#4 Fozzies

Fozzies

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2011 - 07:04 PM

9Mbps? Or 9mbps? If your not sure on that answer, link to the speedtest.net results

#5 wignall6

wignall6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2011 - 06:24 AM

Speed test said Mbps.

#6 dirtdog900

dirtdog900

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2011 - 07:25 AM

Seems unlikely the xbox would use that much bandwidth, if it's just online gaming anyway. Does he have any background downloads, movies or anything like that? Port forwarding is only to help you get around firewalls/NAT that won't let you connect online etc, won't do anything much for your speed/bandwidth. What do you mean by lagging though?

#7 wignall6

wignall6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2011 - 12:34 PM

The Xbox does Lag, It's anyone else on wireless. I mean high ping constantly.

#8 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,483 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 10 November 2011 - 12:57 PM

So just to clarify, the Xbox is the one that is lagging right? Also please do a fresh speedtest.net test and post a link or the pic after you do the test so we can see more details that we cause to fix the issue.

Thanks. :)
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#9 wignall6

wignall6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2011 - 01:01 PM

Sorry I messed up there, I meant the Xbox does not lag. It is all the computers running on the wireless at the same time. It is fine now because he is not using it but when he is on I only get 8Mbps-9Mbps when I am getting 19Mbps now.

#10 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,483 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 10 November 2011 - 01:15 PM

Well in that case please do a speed test and post it here then when he starts using it post another one here as well. :)
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#11 Fozzies

Fozzies

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2011 - 02:54 PM

8 to 9 Mbps is great. that speedtest result, posted here, is essential. might also be worth using their sister site ping test too

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users