Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

privacy protection malware from APC website

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Tom@liwebsolutions

Tom@liwebsolutions

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 09 November 2011 - 09:46 AM

So I am on a Windows Server 2003 Small business server, and I recently just installed a Smart UPS 1500 rackmountable Battery backup.
I want to manage the powerchute program, so I go to their website to get the latest software... I than download APC Powerchute version 9
I go to install it and BAM... Privacy protection Malware everywhere popping up.
I start freaking out, all critical data is on this server, it starts killing all the services, no .exe can run.. i'm like.. WTF?
So luckily... I didnt click on anything.. I quickly logged off (restarted), than logged on as a different user.
I than loaded/updated malwarebytes, and ran a FULL scan... took about 3 hours but it got everything and I am back to normal again.
So the moral of the story is... I went to a very legit website and caught this malware.. you cant trust any site these days.
What dont kill you, makes you more strong!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Okharon

Okharon

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2011 - 06:08 PM

Seen this one happen too many times. Best way I found to deal with it was to download the software on another PC, secure/scan it, then transfer it to the server and install. A lot lower risk of drive by infections.

#3 Tom@liwebsolutions

Tom@liwebsolutions
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2011 - 10:05 PM

Yep... you live and learn.
What dont kill you, makes you more strong!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users