Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mozilla Firefox Plugin

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Richard ken

Richard ken

• Members
  • 246 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 09 November 2011 - 04:21 AM

Hi everyone, I have been using Firefox 8.0 for a while and so far, my laptop have been running very slowly. So far I disabled all my add-on and still runs slow so the last thing I want to cleanse is the plugin and I don't know which plugin are useful. Can someone please tell me what the red squared plugins do? My laptop is a Compaq Presario C306US, Window XP, Home Edition, Version 2002 Service Pack 3 with an Intel® Celeron® M CPU, 430@ 1.73GHz, 504 MB of RAM. Thanks again for helping. Here is the Picture: Posted Image

Edited by Richard ken, 09 November 2011 - 04:23 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,236 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2011 - 04:31 AM

It looks like the two "downloadUpdater" plugins are the culprits. They are related to AOL in some way, but I'm not sure how. In any case, they are not necessary for Firefox to function properly and you can safely disable them (in fact, I recommend it.)

The Java plugins are safe and legit. They allow you to use applets written in the Java programming language. They usually don't cause any issues. You can leave them enabled, or you can disable them anyway since few websites use Java applets.

The Microsoft DRM and Windows Media Player plugins all relate to Windows Media Player. They allow you to watch WMP, WMA, and other Microsoft media formats directly in the browser. These plugins come from Microsoft, are safe, and generally don't cause issues. Disabling them will not likely affect your browsing experience.

#3 Richard ken

Richard ken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 246 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2011 - 06:10 PM

Aren't the two "download updater" for AIM? I also have something called Download Updater (AOL LLC) in my Add or Remove Programs. Will it effect my AIM from getting updates?

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,236 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2011 - 06:41 PM

I don't know, really. I would assume that AIM is able to receive updates on its own and that the plugins in Firefox are there to supplement this ability, similar to how Google installs plugins into every browser to update Chrome.

You can disable the plugins in Firefox without uninstalling them. Then, if you notice that any programs you need aren't working anymore, you can simply re-enable them.

#5 Richard ken

Richard ken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 246 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2011 - 08:02 PM

Thanks for all the help you given Andrew :thumbsup:

#6 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman