Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot up no Monitor display

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jake426426

jake426426

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 08 November 2011 - 09:03 PM

I have a windows XP system...When I boot up I get no monitor display. The monitor comes on and says no signal detected then goes into sleep mode. I am using a VGA signal. What I have so far see below:

1) Swap out monitor with known good monitor still no display.
2) Remove video card and put in another computer, card worked.
3) Verified the ATX PC power supply is good.
4) CPU fan is on.
5) Can hear the hard drive doing something?
6) I tried another hard drive but still no monitor display.
7) Removed Ram and Reset still no display.

Not sure what went wrong?...but when the system was going bad you had to hit the reset switch on computer after powering up to get the monitor to display when it did work. But now the reset switch does not help. I do not get any screen at all.

The mother board is a MSI K9N Neo with AMD processor..the Ram is PC2 6400 1GB EL DDR2

What is causing this problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 08 November 2011 - 09:17 PM

Hi jake -
Can you access Safe Mode at all when starting ??
Tapping F8 as the computer is starting, and prior to any screen showing.

Also did the checksum item from a_cup help you, or is this related / unrelated ?

Thank You

#3 jake426426

jake426426
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2011 - 11:02 PM

Hi the description of error is when I plugged a different hard drive in. When I first plugged the hard drive in I got CMOS checksum Bad. Then eventually I got no screen at all.

Now I removed the hard drive and replace with another the hard drive booted using NVIDIA Boot Agent 224.0523 not sure what that is system seem to get stuck so held F8. Gave me a screen to select safemode tried that no luck got the following:

Stop C0000221 unknown Hard Error \SystemRoot\System32\ntdll.dll Not sure what that is all about.

I restarted the computer and select F8 again and selected VGA mode that did not work got some failure.

I restarted the computer again select F8 again tried last good configuration but error was detected.

I restarted the computer again selected F8 again and tried Directory services restore mode no luck.

I just rebooted again and left it go went to the safe mode option screens and the normal mode selected left it time out then it tried reboot the screen came up with the windows logo with the three dots moving left to right then it froze and the status bar is not updating and the windows logo is on the monitor. Guess I will have to shut down again.

Not sure what to do none of safe modes seem to work?

Edited by jake426426, 08 November 2011 - 11:24 PM.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 09 November 2011 - 01:06 AM

Re: "stop c0000221 unknown hard error systemroot\system32\ntdll.dll"
Just to keep, and refer back to, once we can find a way to get the system more stable.
How to troubleshoot a "STOP 0xC000021A" error . I found this M/soft link from Tech Support Forum, you can try if you ever get access to the system.

But for now ................
From your "non suggestion" of this idea, I might assume that you do not have your XP CD handy to do a reinstall.
Or is this not a current option for you to do due to data saved on your computer at this time ??

Can you access BIOS on this computer. I do not recall seeing the full make and model listed (also is it a bit home made).
You have listed M/board etc. but not a Make and Model.

Thank You -

#5 jake426426

jake426426
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2011 - 10:10 PM

Hi,

Now I get nothing on my monitor when booting , monitor will scan for signal but finds nothing, I know the video card is good and monitor is good these items were verified on another system.

What is causing my monitor not to display anything? What do I need to to do to fix this?

The system I am having trouble was home built, what do you need to know about it?

I can not access the BIOS cause my monitor does not display information. I do have the windows xp CD but do not want wipe out the hard drive information. Can I even reload XP without a monitor?

#6 kbit

kbit

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2011 - 02:20 AM

Try resetting cmos either by jumper or pull battery for 15 secs . If motherboard has video you need to use that and remove other video card. Still no video? Find an old pci video card and try it in different pci slots . Your pci-e or agp slot {don`t know your mb } could have "burned out" or it might be as simple as a dead battery { which restores factory settings } Good luck

#7 jake426426

jake426426
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2011 - 11:35 AM

Battery is good check with voltmeter....Mother Board does not have a vga connection....Already check video card on another computer it was good.

Could the ram be bad? how do you check ram? Remeber I can not see anything monitor not operational.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users