Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows 7 PC running rediculously slow

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 nflguy

nflguy

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 08 November 2011 - 08:06 PM

Hi guys
I have a problem hoping someone here can help me with. I have a PC running windows 7 ultimate edition. 4.0 GB RAM, AMD Athlon2 X2 processor at 2.9GHz.
This PC was always lightning fast with everything, and now its slower than dirt with everything from opening files to opening pages on the web. I don't know whats happened to it. I update and use Malwarebytes on a daily basis with never an infection, and use AVG antivirus with no instances of virus.
I'm hoping someone can get me on the right track here. I was having issues a year ago and you guys nailed the problem, so I'm back hoping for more of the same. Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,487 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 09 November 2011 - 10:17 AM

Hi,

Do you remember when it first started to act slow? Did you notice the slowness after you installed any programs?
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 nflguy

nflguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2011 - 05:20 PM

Hi
Nope. I havent installed anything new and it didnt gradually slow down. It was just like one day its normal, and then the next day its like it is now. One thing I DO recall though...this started soon after we had a series of power blips (we would lose electric for maybe a few seconds and then it would come back), and this happened about 3 times one day. I wonder if that did something to my C drive or maybe I should try re-installing Win7 ?

#4 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 10 November 2011 - 12:44 PM

Have you tried system file checker? http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1538-sfc-scannow-command-system-file-checker.html

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#5 nflguy

nflguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2011 - 06:23 PM

Thanks Jacee for the response. I just ran the system file checker you suggested.

"Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations"

#6 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 11 November 2011 - 02:56 PM

Try running from a "Clean boot"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#7 daniel rapkin

daniel rapkin

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2011 - 04:43 PM

if you go to start run command and type in %temp% you will get a ton of files u dont need. select all of them and delete them.

hope this helps

daniel

#8 nflguy

nflguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2011 - 01:21 PM

Thanks for the replies Jacee and Daniel. I tried the clean boot with no improvement, then I did as Daniel suggested and again no improvement in performance

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users