Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

INFECTED!! Don't know what I am infected with but need help!!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 mpmarquez

mpmarquez

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 08 November 2011 - 06:56 PM

I have an HP Mini and am running XP Home edition SP3 32bit. I installed norton virus protection that was a trial for 60days and when it expired I went to install avg back onto my computer and when I restarted my computer that is when everything went down hill. I now have errors popping up saying I have a problem with .dll and when I try to run virus protection and malwarebytes it will not let me run them. I know I have something wrong with my computer, but I need some help trying to find the problem and help removing it. Please I really need help cause this is my only computer that I have and I do alot of work on it for school. I also am having problems with dragging and dropping things too!! I have access to the internet still, but my toolbar shows no active virus protection and I also think that there are problems with my registry too, cause of the virus. Thanks for reading this and I hope you can help me!!

Edited by Budapest, 08 November 2011 - 07:02 PM.
Moved from Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs ~Budapest

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blathnat

Blathnat

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 08 November 2011 - 07:10 PM

Norton and AVG products conflict with each other, even if one or the other is disabled. I would suggest removing Norton using the removal tool, and you may well need to remove and reinstall AVG as well. It will be easier then to see if anything further needs to be done.

http://www.symantec.com/symnrt

#3 mpmarquez

mpmarquez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2011 - 07:14 PM

Ok I will try this and let you know what happens. I have done this already once but still have problems.

#4 Blathnat

Blathnat

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2011 - 07:29 PM

Let us know what else you have done and as many of the symptoms as you can. What is the name of the .dll it is reporting and are these Windows error reports?

#5 mpmarquez

mpmarquez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2011 - 07:59 PM

I cant do any system restores at all it says" System restore will not protect your computer and to restart and try again. And I also get a vbals6grid.ocx may be outdated. Make sure you are using the control that was provided with the program. That is Malwayebytes that this error shows this on. When I start up my computer it just says cant run certain programs cause .dll has been corrupted. I have wifi on my computer but my startups that usually show in the right bottom corner shows nothing anymore and my clock is in military time. My broadcom and hp wireless is not running anymore and I have to plug in my ethernet cord to run internet. When I download a virus protection it will just say file cannot be ran due to a corrupted .dll.

#6 Blathnat

Blathnat

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2011 - 11:07 PM

Your problem seems to be very similar to this older thread.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic201963.html/

In this case it appears to be damage to the operating system rather than infection. Do you have an Operating System disc?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic205931.html/

#7 mpmarquez

mpmarquez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2011 - 12:47 PM

I do not have restore disc> I have an hp mini that does not have any disc drives and just have usb ports.

#8 Blathnat

Blathnat

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2011 - 01:39 PM

If you can still get into the machine, I would recommend backing up your personal files to a flash drive so that you have access to them later.

You will need the model number of your Mini and then click on the appropriate number on this support page. It will eventually take you to a page where you can request a USB Recovery Key for your machine. You will need to find the product, click solve a problem, system recovery and go from there.

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/support-drivers.html

#9 mpmarquez

mpmarquez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2011 - 02:01 PM

Ok I will do this! Thank you so much and do u knw if it will cost money!!

#10 Blathnat

Blathnat

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2011 - 02:45 PM

I have not dealt with HP in this regard. I have heard others say that recovery discs for their machines cost approximately $20.00. I would assume that the USB recovery may be similar. Depending on the age of the machine, check for your warranty information to see if it might still be covered.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users