Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Vista BSOD Stop 0xf4

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jephph1

jephph1

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 08 November 2011 - 06:20 PM

I'm getting this error message on Vista Home Premium on an Asus G50v laptop. The computer will get through the Windows loading screen, and then go black for a few seconds, and then the blue screen pops up. Does the same with safe mode. The last changes the user remembers making was installing Windows Live Essentials.
I've read that this particular STOP message has been remedied by reseating the RAM, HD, or CMOS battery. I've tried reseating the RAM and HD, but would rather not take it apart to get to the CMOS battery if at all possible.
Other things tried:
*(within Vista Recovery console)
Startup Repair
chkdsk with /r and /f parameters.
sfc /scannow would return "Could not start the repair services." When I tried to run it in offline mode using sfc /SCANNOW /OFFBOOTDIR=c:\ /OFFWINDIR=c:\windows it came up with "Could not perform the requested operation."
*Memtest86+ returned no errors after running for a full day.
*There were no system restore points, which is odd because I remember creating one last time I had this laptop just a few weeks ago.Attached File  IMG_2690smaller.jpg   54.63KB   12 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 a_cup

a_cup

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 08 November 2011 - 08:58 PM

Hi jephph1...Will going into 'Last Known Good' work..?

Was the Windows Live Essentials downloaded from the Microsoft site..? If not, malware may have been downloaded with the application..

Pauline

#3 jephph1

jephph1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2011 - 05:21 AM

Last Known Good also will not work. Windows Live Essentials was downloaded from Microsoft (live.com)

#4 dev00790

dev00790

Bleeping Chocoholic

• Members
  • 5,037 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 12 November 2011 - 09:43 PM

Hi jephph1,

I have reported this to our forum for people who troubleshoot unbootable computers.

Someone should be in touch regarding your problems soon.

dev00790

Regards, dev00790

---------------------------------------

Marge: "Homer, the plant called. They said if you don't show up tomorrow don't bother showing up on Monday." Homer: "Woo-hoo! Four-day weekend!"I do not reply to Private Messages (PMs) asking for assistance - please use the forums instead. If I have been helping you, and I have not replied to your latest post in 48 hours please send me a PM. My Blog

#5 YardDog1

YardDog1

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2011 - 07:55 PM

Hello, and welcome to Bleeping Computer, as you have done a lot of testing already, i am leaning toward a hardware failure, Try this http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/ If you can get this installed , then that would rule out the hard drive as an issue, but, if you can not install this and back up your files , then we have a hardware issue. Good luck and post back results please.

Please use restore points often

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users