Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Download/internet Problems

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Frontier Dale

Frontier Dale

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 29 January 2006 - 10:55 PM

I'm using windows XP, and I have just recovered from an onslaught of worms and trojans. My virus scanner (Norton) and my Spyware scanner (NoAdware) are not finding any more infectioins. I've used Error Nuker and RegistryFix to remove any errors from my computer. I've gone through the startup program database on this site and removed any harmful files. I've gone into the registry and deleted any entries I could find related to these files. For the most part, my computer is now running fine.

But there is still one lingering problem. I have no trouble connecting to the internet, but once I'm on I have trouble with internet-related activities. For example, pages will often times not load in my browser (firefox). I get a message that says something to the effect of "Firefox could not contact the server". Sometimes I can't check my e-mail or connect to AIM. The pattern I've noticed is that I can't have more than one of those things going at a time (ie I can't connect to AIM while a page is loading). These are minor and temporary annoyances, but the biggest problem I have is that my downloads are always getting cut off. It all seems to come down to some sort of communication problem between my computer and the internet servers. I'm not sure if its a leftover problem from the viruses, or something else.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 30 January 2006 - 10:56 AM

Are you on dial-up?
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Frontier Dale

Frontier Dale
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 30 January 2006 - 04:34 PM

Yes, I am. Sorry I didn't mention that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users