Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

do you call back after a job interview?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 dog180

dog180

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 08 November 2011 - 04:23 PM

I had a job interview last tuesday, in my opinion it went ok, they told me they were going to call me back on monday or tuesday.

Today is tuesday, 3:23 PM... :( I guess I'm not even getting a rejection call or email... Should I call back and ask ? Am i being rude?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 joggiwagga

joggiwagga

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 09 November 2011 - 04:37 PM

Calling back to touch base can be done politely.

Did you send them a thank you after the interview?

#3 Poe1974

Poe1974

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 19 November 2011 - 05:08 PM

I would call back politely and if they say you were unsuccesful I would ask for them to send out some feedback.
Posted Image

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 22 December 2011 - 10:49 AM

Depends whether or not I want the job. . .if I want it I always check base with them within a week. If I don't particularly want the job I don't.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#5 ranget

ranget

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2011 - 02:59 PM

Depends whether or not I want the job. . .if I want it I always check base with them within a week. If I don't particularly want the job I don't.

:thumbup2: :thumbup2:

that's right a lot of Books i read about Job interviews said that Calling back show that you
are persistent

A big thanks to Dider Stevens

sorry for not being around

#6 Guest_Computer-man_*

Guest_Computer-man_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 27 December 2011 - 05:37 AM

When you got a Jobview and they have promissed you that they calling you to morrow for example; about 3 pm. and you got not a call from them, than is it better that you call the Company back with 2 days, than that you do this the day after the Jobview.
Why??? Well, I find that when you call the Company back after that day, you are obtrusive and than is the possibility there that the Company says, no that person we must not to have.

#7 heavydude

heavydude

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2011 - 03:31 PM

In my experience (40 years) it's nice to send a thank you note for the interview, but never expect the corpies to call you unless they are considering hiring you.

Otherwise, don't hold your breath waiting for a callback. There won't be any. No matter what they told you.

They interviewed 100s for that one job. No way they are calling anybody back but the top candidates.

#8 MissPlaced

MissPlaced

• Members
  • 929 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 27 December 2011 - 11:54 PM

@ dog180,
My son has been in your position several times,
He alway's calls them back, Is polite and thank's them for takin the time to answer him
even if this particular position is filled,
1) It shows that your interested and have a good work ethic.
2)there maybe another position come open, and if you leave a positive impression on
them, they may call you.
sometimes interviewers think they've found who there looking for only to discover that
they need to keep looking.
I wish you all the best!

MissPlaced

You want to be great, Learn how to heal people, To hurt people is easy

Be Kinder then you have to be,you never know what battle someone else is fighting~~~
~~~~Martrys song~~~~~
~~~~My Deliverer~~~~~~

#9 Guest_Computer-man_*

Guest_Computer-man_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 31 December 2011 - 05:31 AM

He alway's calls them back, Is polite and thank's them for takin the time to answer him
even if this particular position is filled

It is polite when you say thank you, indeed, but it is not smart when they let you know, that they calling back the next day about 15.00h. and they didn't and the person that got a jobview, call them back the day after the jobview, one hour later.

Why do I say this? Well, the person that took a jobview from the candidate, have maybe a busy day and when you calling back the day after the jobview, than is the risk there that you get to hear: No.
But when you call them back 2 days later, than is there from my opinion, no problem.

I am a divorced man since july 2000, my sons live with their mother, when I was not divorced and their mom and my boys were still together, than did I say to my boys the same what I did just wrote to you.

I speak out experience, in my young days had I the same situation, the person that gave me a jobview had promissed that he call me back the next day about 14.00h., he didn't, so I call the company back one hour later and the message what I got was negative.
Now can we say, the company took a candidate with more experiences, yes it is possible, but I think that I got negative answer by that.

#10 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 31 December 2011 - 09:12 AM

First, it is always good practice to send a written thank you for the interview; this can be worded to indicate you are interested in a position (not necessarily the one for which you interviewed) with the company and shows you are professional about your job search. Second, a promise to call you back at a certain time is subject to a lot of interfering priorities. If you think the interview went well, I would wait a day or two, and then call the interviewer, asking if the position had been filled or if you were still being considered. Again,be sure to thank the interviewer for taking the time to meet with you, and use it to reinforce your interest in the company.
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#11 Guest_Computer-man_*

Guest_Computer-man_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 31 December 2011 - 11:43 AM

jgweed, :thumbsup:

You have absolute right.

#12 MissPlaced

MissPlaced

• Members
  • 929 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2012 - 12:12 PM

@ computer-man,
I think perhaps you misunderstood what i mean't, I didn't say call them right back
I just said call them back...as jgweed said, there can be several reason's for no
call back at that specific time...an emergency at home, the work place, perhaps the
Interviewer came down sick....there are many reasons....a call back within a few
days is always a good idea,it let's you know where you stand for 1 and B) it lets
them know that you're still interested in working for them, even if this particular
position is filled at the moment....my son had an interview, they said they would
call back, they didn't, so he did,the position was filled....then a few days later
they called him back because the fella that had been chosen for the position, had
at the last minute declined the position and taken another job with another company
my son got the job....politness and persurverance pay off in the long run.

MissPlaced

Be Kinder then you have to be,you never know what battle someone else is fighting~~~
~~~~Martrys song~~~~~
~~~~My Deliverer~~~~~~

#13 Guest_Computer-man_*

Guest_Computer-man_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:07 AM

@ computer-man,
I think perhaps you misunderstood what i mean't

I am so sorry missplaced that I have you not good understood.
With many posts and when you are in the hurry, than is the risk for miss understanding very big.
But the fact that I have you not understood what you did mean, is not the end of the world.
What you further told in your message to me, it is true.

See you

#14 MissPlaced

MissPlaced

• Members
  • 929 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2012 - 11:33 AM

@ computer-man,
I wasn't upset with you at all :) , if i was upset with anything ,it was that I didn't
explain what i mean't better..i get in a hurry at times myself... :)

MissPlaced

~~~~Martrys song~~~~~
~~~~My Deliverer~~~~~~

#15 Guest_Computer-man_*

Guest_Computer-man_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:17 AM

We have all our opinion, Missplaced.
You told me that you weren't upset with me, that is also from my side.
If I told just above in the first rule, is true.
When everybody agree with together, than bye bye Bleeping Computer and no more discussions with friends.

So that you weren't upset with me, no problem.

What is important? It is important that people can communicate with together without nasty words or fight.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users