Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Usmt2.unc\img00001 Can I Safely Delete This...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 finalact4

finalact4

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 29 January 2006 - 10:41 PM

Hello. I am a new member and may not pose this question - or the many that are sure to follow - with any great clarity as I am not a computer wizard. I am a writer and have a few problems that I am working to correct on my system so that it will run smoothly and quickly - as it was designed to do.

I am running XP home edition and am trying to free up space on my hard drive. I have a desktop file labeled... USMT2.UNC\IMG00001. I found another user who had a question regarding a file like this and gather from their question that this is a back up file of some sort.

I would like to safely delete it and free up the 1.02 GB of space it consumes at this time. I have since burned a cd and believe this to be an old back up of my documents folder. My apologies if this is, in fact, a very stupid question.

The second issue that I have has to do with the amount of CPU % is being used by processes that are running in the background of my system. Please forgive any lingo errors - I am using only the limited computer language I think I know. When I open the task manager I may only have my Final Draft (scriptwriting software), IE and Outlook running and it locks up at various times tilting to 100% CPU usage.

When I view the processes tab, it shows approximately 54 processes and I have no idea what these are. I think that these are initiated upon start up. Can anyone advise where I can determine which of these processes I can safely shut down to free up my CPU - or is there some far worse problem that I may need to contend with?

I appreciate your time and effort.

Edited by finalact4, 29 January 2006 - 10:43 PM.

FA4

Who's your daddy now? -- Mrs. Smith

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 29 January 2006 - 11:51 PM

First let me give you a warm welcome to BC.
What antivirus antispyware and firewall are you using, if any?
The 100% CPU, is it constant or does it fall off?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 finalact4

finalact4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 30 January 2006 - 12:01 AM

I am running Norton 2006 and although it always says it's running perfectly fine it sometimes does strange flickering when I try to open it.

With respect to the CPU 100% usage it falls off. What I did notice today - I could be crazy here - is that when I opened the task manager it climbed and peaked out at 100%. I have noticed it fall off sometimes as I close "not responding" programs.

I have, over the course of a few weeks, quarantined about 500 "Critical New Object" discovered by my Adaware. Just prior to that I had to run system restore and had also run a system restore back in October. I've been told, by Dell, that I should back up everything and wipe out the hard drive... that's a bit scary and I fear I will loose everything.

I hope this information is of use.

Thank you for you assistance and the welcome.

Edited by finalact4, 30 January 2006 - 12:02 AM.

FA4

Who's your daddy now? -- Mrs. Smith

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 30 January 2006 - 12:10 AM

I want you to go to Preparation Guide for use before posting a HijackThis Log and read it very carefully. Once you have gone thru it and created a HJT log you should post it in the HijackThis Logs and Analysis forum.
This will start you on the way to recovering your computer.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users