Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trojan.FakeAlert aftermath help

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 dnutt

dnutt

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 AM

Posted 08 November 2011 - 11:31 AM

EDIT: Fixed, nothing to see here, unless anyone wants to help me confirm my PC is clean.

Hello, I recently had an infection that a quick scan from Malwarebytes identified as "trojan.FakeAlert"

It was removed, but before that I suffered the "desktop files being hidden" issue, and used unhide.exe to cleanup most of the remaining mess.

However, the Accessories folder in my Start Menu mostly empty, the Communications, Entertainment, and System Tools folders are empty, and the Start menu itself has no Run command, and ALL of the shortcuts I had pinned to it are now gone.

In addition, after being directed to some posts here by Google, it looks like this class of trojan often leaves behind files that may have been missed.

My computer is not acting oddly other than what is mentioned above, but I'd like to confirm that my machine is clean, and I'd like to know what can be done to retsore my missing Start Menu items, aside form a System Restore, which I'm not sure if this trojan hides in the SR folder or not.

I do have a restore point prior to infection however.

Edited by dnutt, 08 November 2011 - 06:24 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users