Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble Installing Game

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Racoonslayer

Racoonslayer

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 29 January 2006 - 10:23 PM

For some reason, I cannot install multi-disk games, like games that come with more than one install disk, UT 2004, Brothers in arms, call of duty 2, Age of emps 3, that sort of thing. I insert the first disk fine, hit install, and it will usually go til the 2nd cd, then have a read error, and cancel the install. My cd drives are brand new, and I know its not a time issue, because they can play full dvds. I can install normal 1 disk games, and the new DVD games, but nothing with more than one disk. My guess would be that since these new drives are reading at such high speeds, then they are less accurate, which would mean that I need a way to slow them down. any help would be GREATLY appreciated. P.S.--- Sorry this dosnt really apply to the "games" category

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 piroz

piroz

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2006 - 12:51 PM

some games are made now for a certain type of windows like cod2 you may haft to change settings in your bios "only go in to your bios if you know what you are doing you can really mess up your cp" repost this in hardware mabe some one in there can help you more sorry

#3 Sprite_Feedback

Sprite_Feedback

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 03 February 2006 - 10:30 PM

some games are made now for a certain type of windows like cod2 you may haft to change settings in your bios "only go in to your bios if you know what you are doing you can really mess up your cp" repost this in hardware mabe some one in there can help you more sorry

Intriguing never had this problem, nor heard about it before, got any details?

Back to the topic. I would think it highly unlikely that the speed of your drives is causing this problem. Do you have any virtual drives that may fool some of the installers into thinking that the cd isn't in the drive?

Also you could try using the drive that shows up as the first drive and see if that makes any difference.

g

#4 piroz

piroz

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2006 - 12:04 AM

Intriguing never had this problem, nor heard about it before, got any details?

Back to the topic. I would think it highly unlikely that the speed of your drives is causing this problem. Do you have any virtual drives that may fool some of the installers into thinking that the cd isn't in the drive?

Also you could try using the drive that shows up as the first drive and see if that makes any difference.
unless i'm reading this wrong what it says in the system requirments
g

CALL OF DUTY® 2 README
Last Updated: 10-06-2005

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
TABLE OF CONTENTS
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

INTRODUCTION

INSTALLATION & SET UP ISSUES
1.Minimum System Requirements
2.Splash screen navigation
3. Network Installation

VIDEO ISSUES
1.Multiple Monitors
2.In-game and Desktop resolutions
3.Game performance and Optimal System Settings
4. "The dynamic link library d3d9.dll could not be found" error message

SOUND ISSUES
1.Issues with EAX® Sound Provider

VIDEO, SOUND & PERFORMANCE OPTIONS
1. OPTIONS > GRAPHICS
2. OPTIONS > SOUND
3. OPTIONS > GAME OPTIONS
4. OPTIONS > OPTIMAL SYSTEM SETTINGS

SINGLE PLAYER ISSUES
1. Objective indicators on the compass
2."cannot open file for saving" error message.
3. Loading times with 256MB of RAM.

MULTIPLAYER & INTERNET ISSUES
1. Recommended maximum client settings for hosting over DSL
2. Dedicated server running on Windows® 2003

WINDOWS® SPECIFIC OPERATING SYSTEM ISSUES
1.Virtual Memory Warnings in Windows® 2000 and Windows® XP
2.Shift Key in Windows® 2000 and XP Interrupts Game
3.Windows® Key Interrupts Game in 2000/XP
4.CTRL-ALT-DEL Freezes System On Windows® 2000
5.Game Icons Are Missing From Start Menu And/Or Desktop In Windows® 2000/XP
6.Admin rights needed to load and play on Windows® 2000/XP
7.Microsoft® Intellipoint drivers and Middle-Mouse Button functionality

Copyright Information

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
INTRODUCTION
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Refer to this document if you encounter difficulties with one or more aspects
of the installation or running Call of Duty 2. Many of the most commonly
encountered issues are covered here.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
INSTALLATION & SET UP ISSUES
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

1.Minimum System Requirements

- 3D Hardware Accelerator Card Required - 100% DirectX® 9.0c compatible 64 MB Hardware
Accelerator video card and the latest drivers
- Microsoft® Windows® 2000/XP
- Pentium® 4 1.4GHz or AMD Athlon™ XP 1700+
- 256 MB RAM (512 MB RAM recommended)
- DirectX® 9.0c (included)
- 100% DirectX® 9.0c compatible 16-bit sound card and latest drivers.
- 100% Windows® 2000/XP compatible mouse, keyboard and latest drivers
- 4 GB of uncompressed free hard disk space (plus 600MB for Windows® 2000/XP swap file)
- 8x Speed CD-ROM or 2x Speed DVD-ROM drive.

Important Note: *Some 3D accelerator cards with the chipset listed here may not be
compatible with the 3D acceleration features utilized by Call of Duty® 2. Please refer
to your hardware manufacturer for 100% DirectX® 9.0c compatibility.

This product does not support Microsoft® Windows® 95/98*Grinler or NT.

Edited by piroz, 04 February 2006 - 12:09 AM.

#5 piroz

piroz

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2006 - 12:20 AM

yea sprite is right one of your drives has to be set as your primary and to do that you haft to get into your bios since you installed 2 drives there may be a conflick there. that may be why it isn't installing the second disk if you know how to do this than i would check if not you will haft to get another member to go through the steps with you i know some about them but not alot hope this helps you some you can repost need help setting up cdrom drive's in the bios see ya sprite yea it was late when i posted i was letting him know according to the specs on cod2 that it says windows 2000 or xp work for the game and that his problem with his drives might be in his bios i should of stated it better my fought sorry ok see ya

Edited by piroz, 04 February 2006 - 12:29 AM.

#6 Sprite_Feedback

Sprite_Feedback

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2006 - 08:02 AM

Hi piroz i cant see anything in the readme from COD2 that says anything about the bios at all, of course i am just up and i may just be missing it :blink.

yea sprite is right one of your drives has to be set as your primary and to do that you haft to get into your bios since you installed 2 drives there may be a conflick there. that may be why it isn't installing the second disk if you know how to do this than i would check if not you will haft to get another member to go through the steps with you i know some about them but not alot hope this helps you some you can repost need help setting up cdrom drive's in the bios see ya sprite yea it was late when i posted i was letting him know according to the specs on cod2 that it says windows 2000 or xp work for the game and that his problem with his drives might be in his bios i should of stated it better my fought sorry ok see ya

Hi piroz this is not slave/master settings are best sorted out using the jumpers on the drives near when you plug in the cables. It is not a bios issue as if they are set wrong not even the bios will see them :-).

If you can see both drives work windows than this is not the problem as they will not show up if they are not set up right.

What i was talking about is that I remember that in the past i had problems with installing programmes if i used a cd drive that was not the first one. Especially if i had a virtual cd programme installed. It does sound like an odd problem. As long as what you are trying to install are original games you should not have this problem. See if you can browse the disks in windows.

g

#7 piroz

piroz

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2006 - 06:08 PM

yea there ain't nothing in the bios you can do about cod2 he was stating in his post about the games he could not install i should of posted my reply better it was late and i was tired what i should of put was cod2 may only use a certain type of windows and your problem with your drives may be a problem with your bios sorry for the mistake i have a dvd drive and a cdrom drive my cdrom drive was corrupt so i had to change in my bios to set up my my dvd drive as the primary one and it solved my problem i pretty much had the same problem installing so if one of his new drives has a problem that may have been a place to start but it sounds like you have more experiance about the problem so help him as much as you can i will be learning about it too see ya

#8 Sprite_Feedback

Sprite_Feedback

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2006 - 09:23 PM

no problem piroz. been using pc's for over 10 years now. We all have to learn sometime so keep with it.

g

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users