Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Online scanning

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ferns

Ferns

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 03 November 2004 - 04:18 PM

Hello,

I have a 2Ghz Athlon processor, 256 Mb ram and a 40Gb hard drive (two thirds full). I run Windows Millenium. A run of AVG usually takes about 15 or 16 minutes. Using the online Trend scanner takes a little longer but not much. Panda however, can be started around eleven o'clock say, and it's still running in the morning when I get up at 06:30. I have 512 dsl.
I keep my computer in fairly good order running Adaware daily, AVG daily (both with the latest updates), I empty temp files, cookies etc daily and scandisk and defrag weekly (I don't normally need to defrag but always start the run to check.

Can anyone suggest why Panda takes so long?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 03 November 2004 - 04:39 PM

Weird I use tren micro on a new pc and a old pc with only 350mhz they both take about 30-50mins full system scan......I have yet to use panda online scan. I also am on dial up and my modem only gets max of around say 28.8kb(its a 56k but something wrong with this modem)

I dont belive panda online should take that long......But I have nevr used it before. Maybe another member can help you better.

#3 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2004 - 11:47 PM

I have ME and I have Charter Pipeline (Broadband) I have ran the Panda scan and it did not take no more than 30 to 40 minutes. I honestly can't understand why it takes so long. Hopefully one of the real experts will have an answer for you.
Posted Image

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2004 - 01:48 PM

I have used, on DSL, Panda online scan, and have found the times vary a lot. Quite frankly, from what you write, you should not have to use an on-line virus scan at all, since you seem to be reasonably security-conscious. There are several other on-line scans you might wish to try that, from my experience, are consistently faster than is Panda's.
Cheers
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users