Posted 08 November 2011 - 09:06 AM
Hi. I had some questions I hope someone can answer if possible. I'll list them below, thank you.
I have an active infection and am in process of diagnosing, but some important questions continue to arise.
1. My router is likely compromised, even after hard reset.. Is there any way for me to confidently know for sure if it is compromised, and if so, regain control?
(I should mention, I live in a condo complex, so have many wireless networks in range at all times. Likely others are infected and capable of reinfecting my router upon power on)
2. If I have a compromised router, what is my best suggested way of connecting to internet: Ethernet hookup through router anyway or direct ether to cable modem? Keeping in mind the virus can likely disable or control firewall and connections, is the router still providing some safety?
3. Since my system has been compromised, and my hardware info likely went out, are my wireless adapters more susceptible to reinfection? Is there anything I can do to change hardware id info? Especially if I do a reformat/reinstall I don't want my system devices wide open and broadcasting.
4. Must I assume any and all data saved while computer was infected is hazardous? All data and file types? For instance, songs, pictures, iPhone back-up, game data? Is there any way to scan or be sure one way or another?
5. Given my mulitiple network environment, is there any way I can power into a state where I know 100% I am disconnected from Internet?
6. If I need to reformat/reinstall, and this is my only available, is there any way for me to get system up and secure, with updates and AV/firewall? Is there any way to securely download updates/av and be sure of file integrity?
Really appreciate your time and thoughts. Regards. Dave