Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

youtube video downloads for ubuntu

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 steingis

steingis

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 08 November 2011 - 06:10 AM

can anyone recommend me software to dload videos of google video or youtube for ubunu realplayer used to work well for pc but i cant get it on ubuntu i tried search on google on came onto a forum with many links to different softwar/sites but none of them worked when i dloaded them.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 scurvychef

scurvychef

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2011 - 11:37 AM

If you already downloaded a bunch of software and drivers, your system may be in a state of Chaos. Did you install the restricted extras from the software center? that should take care of most of your media needs.

#3 steingis

steingis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2011 - 12:49 PM

my software centre doesnt load up the list,sorry im new too ubuntu and preety clueless

i cannot remove or get software through the software centre

Edited by steingis, 08 November 2011 - 12:51 PM.

#4 scurvychef

scurvychef

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2011 - 01:56 PM

I would probably just do a fresh install of Ubuntu if I were you. Start over. Do it right and then don't worry about it. Make sure your computer is hooked up to the internet as you install. say "yes" to third party software and when it is all done: the FIRST thing you do is go into the software center (if you are unfamiliar with this just type it into the Unity search bar)

When the software center opens: type in "restricted extras" you will get multiple options for xubuntu, kubuntu... ect... Click on the Ubuntu one. Install. type your password when prompted. and agree to the terms of using the software and licensing...

The thing about Ubuntu is that you can get ALOT of software right from the software center. It will install it for you from there. It is NOT like Windows where the.exe file install themselves. IF you have installed any executable windows files on your machine is probably a very good idea to just reformat with Ubuntu. The only other way to install ANYTHING in Ubuntu is to use the terminal. I am assuming that if you are unfamiliar with Ubuntu that this is not the route for you. Just use the software center when you need anything.

Let me know how it works out for you!

#5 steingis

steingis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2011 - 04:01 AM

are you saying that i made a mistake when i installed ubuntu?

or that i have made a mistake in trying to install files not using the software centre? as i have tried to do this a few times, its not going to be easy to re-install as im travelling around india and have nowhere to keep the current files whilst reformmatting. and how do i make sure its connected to the net if its a netbook using wireless internet?

#6 scurvychef

scurvychef

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2011 - 01:24 PM

Well.. it is best to connect to the Internet while formatting, however, if you can not do this. It can all be done after the format is complete.

I think the problem therein lies with the drivers you are trying to install. If you are more used to Windows, I am sure you have downloaded drivers (in a .exe format and then all you do is click on it and the installation wizard takes care of it for you. In a Linux OS, this is not the case. It is a higher security system. Any software change has to be made in the terminal (I for one am not good with programming so I don't use this method) Luckily for people like us there is a software center. Every program in the software center has been written to install itself. If you wish to install something outside of the Software Center, you must use the Terminal.

If the Restricted Extras are not working for you and you have already installed .exe files on you system, It most likely will not work. The drivers tell the computer how to use its hardware, if you have multiple drivers, it is like they are all talking at once and no one is heard.

If you need to reformat your hard drive again, and you don't have an external storage device, Then you might be able to think about using a web based file sharing program. Maybe you would like to try Ubuntu 1 or Dropbox. I am not too familiar with Ubuntu 1 but Dropbox allots you 5 Gigs for free. Additional storage is pretty nominal. If you are not familiar with this: they are remote servers rented to users that wish to access files on a remote machines.

Good Luck

#7 Keith1

Keith1

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2011 - 04:50 PM

I use Ubuntu One, and really like it. It has 5GB free storage, and you can purchase additional packs of 20GB for 2.99/mo. or 29.99/year.

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2011 - 08:17 PM

Give this Firefox addon a try. I don't use it, but many do.
Video DownloadHelper :: Add-ons for Firefox

DownloadHelper is a tool for web content extraction. Its purpose is to capture video and image files from many sites.

Just surf the Web as you are used to, when DownloadHelper detects it can do something for you, the icon gets animated and a menu allows you to download files by simply clicking an item

For instance, if you go to a YouTube page, you'll be able to download the video directly on your file system. It also works with MySpace, Google videos, DailyMotion, Porkolt, iFilm, DreamHost and others.

Since version 3.1, you can setup the extension to automatically convert the downloaded movies to your preferred video format.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#9 steingis

steingis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2011 - 02:39 AM

when i open the software centre it shows the catergories list. when i click on a catergorie or installed software it just shows the timer and never loads ups it used to work fine i only installed ubuntu 2 months ago everthing else is working fine .

#10 steingis

steingis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2011 - 02:55 AM

Give this Firefox addon a try. I don't use it, but many do.
Video DownloadHelper :: Add-ons for Firefox

DownloadHelper is a tool for web content extraction. Its purpose is to capture video and image files from many sites.

Just surf the Web as you are used to, when DownloadHelper detects it can do something for you, the icon gets animated and a menu allows you to download files by simply clicking an item

For instance, if you go to a YouTube page, you'll be able to download the video directly on your file system. It also works with MySpace, Google videos, DailyMotion, Porkolt, iFilm, DreamHost and others.

Since version 3.1, you can setup the extension to automatically convert the downloaded movies to your preferred video format.

sounds similar to what realplayer did a lil box came up next to youtube videos that said download.. simple

will this method not screw up my computer like what scurvychef is saying?

Edited by steingis, 21 November 2011 - 02:56 AM.

#11 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2011 - 07:46 AM

It was recommended to reinstall Ubuntu because you are having problems and would be the surest, quick way to
solve them. For instance, your not being able to use the Software Center.

Here is another Firefox extension used by many to download videos and a bit of info from the link.
Flash Video Downloader - Youtube Downloader :: Add-ons for Firefox
........For instance, if you go to a YouTube page, you'll be able to download the video directly on your file system. It also works with MySpace, Google videos, DailyMotion, Porkolt, iFilm, DreamHost and others.

When you are on a page containing links to images or movies, you can download some or all of them at once. Moving the mouse over the items in the menu will highlights the links directly in the page to make sure they are the ones you want to pick up...........
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#12 scurvychef

scurvychef

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2011 - 10:31 PM

I just wanted to clarify that you have installed improper drivers on your computer. Buddy is referring to Browser add ons and plug ins. Alot of newer browsers are able to provide add ons. These plugins work with your browser to provide extra features and you don't have to use the software center on your computer to do so because it is part of the browser.

With his method you will have to download the video and convert it to a format that you can watch on your computer. You will not necessarily be able to watch it online. This is fine if you are not ready to reformat at this time. However, you have not fixed the problem with your drivers.

BTW: thanks Buddy! I may try this method on a couple Xvid things I was trying to stream the other day and couldn't because of Windows formatting.

#13 steingis

steingis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2011 - 08:57 PM

ok thanks for the help i will get round to formatting when i get the chance and try out that add on methd for dloading

#14 scurvychef

scurvychef

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2011 - 01:36 AM

Yeah, I have an grumpy baby that appreciates certain YouTube videos, so I may use that add-on to make a disk for him. :crazy: :clapping:

#15 boscharun

boscharun

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2012 - 08:30 AM

ClipGrab is the best way to download youtube videos in Ubuntu.

You can install it using apt-get. What makes it cool is you can choose the quality and format of the video to download. There is a search feature as well so you really don't have to visit youtube page to download a video.

ClipGrab to download youtube video in Ubuntu.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users