Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Searching for Replacement Power Supply for Dell Inspiron 560 Mini tower

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 fish7491

fish7491

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 08 November 2011 - 04:57 AM

My power supply died so need to find a replacement. I think it was borderline to start with as it tended to randomly shut off before finally crashing. Gotta love Dell quality parts control.

The model on the power supply is HIPRO HP-P3017F3 LF and is rated at 300W.

Fearing more of the same issue with the current manufacture and model, and little or no customer assistance from Dell, figured I should check if anyone has recomendations on what I should replace it with.

Supply has a 24 PIN board connection, 4 PIN for Dell, and what appears to be 4 SATA drive connectors. Currently running one HD and DVD Standard burner but wanted to add another drive and a Blue Ray burner.

Any brands models that anyone can recommmend?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 08 November 2011 - 10:12 AM

I'm not sure what your system specs. are, but these days people usually consider 450W as the baseline for PSUs.

Top brands to choose from: Corsair, Seasonic, PC Power and Cooling

PSUs from these brands are relatively expensive, when compared to the rest.

So if you can list out some options for us, we will be able to narrow it down for you.

Edited by ReviverSoft, 08 November 2011 - 10:14 AM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#3 fish7491

fish7491
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2011 - 01:43 PM

Here are the current specs on the Dell Inspiron 560

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 (2.5GHz, 4MB)
6GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1066MHz - 3X2GB
NVIDIA GeForce G310 512MB DDR3
1TB Serial ATA 2 Hard Drive 7200RPM
16X DVD+/-RW Drive (No Brand Listed)
Integrated 10/100/1000 Ethernet
Dell 19 in 1 Media Card Reader
Windows 7 Professional

Wanted to add a second hard drive and possibly a Blue Ray burner as well. Was concerned about purchasing a power supply that would match properly with the desktop and allow the additional components.

The current supply is rated at 300W so is there too high of a supply I could get that could cause problems?

Thanks!

#4 philo-sofa

philo-sofa

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 09 November 2011 - 05:45 AM

No you can't mess things up by getting too powerful a PSU ;) Dell's of that age use standard (ATX) power supplies. I'd go for good quality ~400w unit such as the Antec Earthwatts 380w, the Antec High Current Gamer 400w, the Corsair CX-500 or Silverstone Strider 500w (amongst others). If you're in a country with a good selection, just grab an Earthwatts 380, unless you're planning on upgrading your graphics card, in which case a ~500w unit would be good.

Quality is important, so if you do decide to grab another type of power supply these brands (there are others but I don't have all day to remember them lol): Silverstone, Corsair, Enermax, Lian Li, OCZ, Seasonic, Antec, PC Power & Cooling and Zalman are the ones to look for - as they basically don't actually make any dodgy units whatsoever.
i7 860 @ 4.0Ghz | Prolimatech Megashadow & 120mm Gelid | MSI P55-GD65 | 8 GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 CL8 | Sapphire AMD HD 6970 (flashed from HD 6950) @ 910/5600 MHz | 2x 160GB Intel 320 Series (RAID 0), 1.5TB + 2TB Seagate | Corsair AX-750 | Silverstone TJ10B-WESA | Samsung 2443BW | Logitech G19 | Logitech G500

#5 fish7491

fish7491
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2011 - 07:24 PM

Thanks for the info I appreciate your help!

#6 fish7491

fish7491
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2011 - 03:54 AM

Got the Corsair CX500 V2 and was about to hook up.

All of the plugs are straight forward except one.

There is a PCI-E cable coming from the power supply that can only go to one spot on the mother board. The only problem is its a 6Pin with a separate 2 pin coming off. The place on the mother board where it is to connect is a 4 Pin connector.

Here is the layout for the 4 pin connection on the mother board

Clip on top (Bn=brown wire, B=Black wire)

Bn Bn
B B

Here is the layout for the 6 Pin connection coming from the replacement power supply.

One side is black which I assume to be negative and the other is yellow. (Have not tested with a meter yet to verify)

Looks like this.

Clip on top Side piece is two slots
BBB BB
YYY

Each of the pins are not square so it appears you can attach it several ways.

Before I went any further wanted to see what you recommend.

Can attach picts if that would help.

Worried about polarity and making sure this is connected correctly.

#7 fish7491

fish7491
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2011 - 04:12 AM

Looking a bit more closely I think I have it figured out now.

The 4 Pin on the Dell Board is a 4 Pin ATX 12V connector.

Just realized what I thought was an 8 pin 12v connector with the correct polarity was really a 4+4 Pin 12V that was snapped together so it looked like an 8 pin. Ok. Moment of zen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users