Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avast antivirus

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 PinoyNoob

PinoyNoob

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 08 November 2011 - 04:34 AM

ok i have avast antivirus, will i download an antispyware like superantispyware and antimalware like malwarebytes or should i stick with my avast antivirus? thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,927 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 08 November 2011 - 07:23 AM

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and SUPERAntiSpyware Free are both anti-malware scanners intended to supplement an anti-virus (avast, AVG, Eset, etc) not replace it.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 08 November 2011 - 09:28 AM

^ I agree. Just have these two programs installed and use them regularly.

While AVAST offers real-time protection from viruses and other major threats, it's good to have two passive, spyware & malware specific programs ready to take action.
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#4 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 996 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 15 November 2011 - 06:41 AM

Morning PinoyNoob, I just wanted to 2nd (or perhaps 3rd or 4th) the idea of installing malwarebytes, which I use in conjunction with Avast! without any problems, and I'm running the PRO version, although I ran the Free version for almost a year without any issues.

I also have SuperAntiSpyware which I run about once a week, after updating & doing a complete scan, I just shut it back down until the next time I want/need it. It is never running until I tell it to.

I used Avira before I switched to Avast! and while Avast! may be getting 'larger' there are some pesky add-ons/pop ups with the latest version of Avira that drove me away from it, but that was a personal decision not any reflection on how Avira performed, and please note, I think it performed well.

Hope that helps.

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,927 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 15 November 2011 - 08:01 AM

there are some pesky add-ons/pop ups with the latest version of Avira that drove me away from it

Yes, Avira now includes Ask.com Toolbar pre-checked by default during installation

Many anti-virus vendors are bundling toolbars and other software with their products. If pre-checked by default that means you need to uncheck that option during installation if you don't want it.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 996 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 15 November 2011 - 08:40 AM

quietman7, thanks for the link.

PinoyNoob, you should read some of the postings there to get an idea of what drove me (and many others, I suspect) away from Avira.

The largest culprit was this post:

If you don't do this convoluted method, which basically amounts to a reinstall (but via "modify" in the Programs and Features section of Control Panel), then you have the "closed umbrella" icon, which with Avira it means there's something not working right.

-----------

The closed umbrella can be resolved but it's, as mentioned, rather complicated for an average user and results in the closed umbrella, which is foolish and, in my opinion, an irresponsible scare tactic.

:angry: Ok, that's the end of my rant.

Thank you for listening.

Off to work. Enjoy the day everyone.

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users