Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't get my laptop to start up, BSOD, uninstalled programs

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jennifern2213

jennifern2213

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 08 November 2011 - 04:24 AM

So I just recently got help here removing a "system restore" virus and it worked perfectly. I had everything running smoothly and decided it was time to get rid of some programs I don't use.

I began going through the programs I don't use and uninstalling them. One of them (StopZilla) took a long time to remove but I finally got the confirmation that it had uninstalled completely, BUT there was a box that said it was still uninstalling. I let that stay there for about an hour until I stupidly got impatient and decided to restart my computer.

I did a forced restart and since then it will not start up, it gets to the "starting windows" starts to show the little colored dots and then freezes, shows a quick BSOD and restarts.

I tried every system restore I had on there, then I decided that since I had saved all my important files online during the virus issue that I would do a factory reset. Even after this I have not been able to get it to start up in any mode. I am able to access the repair windows (that includes system restore, system recovery, backup and restore, command promt, etc), the setup (pressing F2 at start up) and that is all.

I called Dell and they walked me through the exact steps I've already taken and they want to send someone out to install a new harddrive even though the tests we ran showed there was no hard drive error.

Putting my faith in you guys...I told my husband if I could get this computer running (the one I am on now) tonight that I would get my laptop fixed as well because I would be able to get on this website LOL so don't let him be right :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 08 November 2011 - 05:39 AM

I called Dell and they walked me through the exact steps I've already taken and they want to send someone out to install a new harddrive even though the tests we ran showed there was no hard drive error.

Hi -
I assume that Dell also offered to charge a "small" fee for this service ??
>>since I had saved all my important files online during the virus issue that I would do a factory reset<<This concerns me, as you May have reinstalled an infection.

If you reinstalled all the system files that were active during the infection period, you may also reinstall parts of the infection.
Have you still got StopZilla installed (Control Panel > Programs and Features), or is the program now totally missing ??

I assume you installed Malwarebytes in the Malware Removal process, if so please update and scan with it, same with your Antivirus program.

Regards -

#3 jennifern2213

jennifern2213
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2011 - 10:11 AM

I don't have any way of running Malwarebytes or finding out if StopZilla is back on my computer since I can't get the computer to boot up. I was hoping to get it to actually start before I began fixing it again if needed.

All of my files are still online because I haven't had the chance to put them back onto my laptop. The virus was not there when the computer was first purchased so I don't think that doing a factory reset would bring it back.

And no, I have a warranty good until May 2012 so they are not charging me to do this. The only reason I am hesitant is because when they do this reinstall I will not be getting Microsoft Office Starter pack that I got when I got the system. I am a freelance writer and cannot afford to purchase this software but I still need to work.

Edited by jennifern2213, 08 November 2011 - 10:14 AM.

#4 jennifern2213

jennifern2213
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2011 - 10:01 PM

It sounds like you think that I put all my files back onto my computer but I haven't done that yet. They are just files, documents and other things, no programs but they are still on adrive.com waiting for me to get my computer fixed.

Right now there is nothing on my computer at all because even after doing the Dell backup and recovery and putting it back to dell factory settings the laptop will not start.

Dell says they will be here by 10:30 am tomorrow morning with the new hard drive and factory operating system without MS office starter edition. My dad works at Boeing so he is going to buy me Office for about $16 so that isn't a problem anymore.

I was just wondering if this does sound like a hard drive problem or if doing all this is even going to work.

Thanks for any help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users