Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Speed Drops over Short Distance

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 pitseleh112

pitseleh112

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 08 November 2011 - 02:26 AM

Hi everyone,

Attached is a picture of my apartment.

Posted Image

The problem I am having is that my download speed drops dramatically in the living room where my tv/laptop is. If I am in the same room as the router or in the bedroom (on the right of it in the picture) I have no problem maintaining my max internet speed (25mbps) but in the living room I max out at about 2-3 mbps. I've read that microwaves and central air units can block wireless signals so I am guessing that's the problem. However, on the two laptops in the living room, I can usually get 4-5 bars according to Windows with very good to excellent signal strength.

I'm running a Linksys WRT320N with Tomato firmware. It's running at 2.4ghz (unfortunately I can't run it at 5 ghz for compatibility reasons).

I'm thinking it might be the router but it may also just be that there's too much interference. The distance from the router and the living room isn't huge - about 25-30 feet.

Any thoughts on what might be causing my problem and a recommended solution? I've looked at a couple options but don't really want to invest in something unless I have a good sense it will work. Due to the way the building is wired there isn't any possibility of moving where the modem is located and because I rent, running network cables through the walls isn't an option either. Right now I'm leaning toward trying a new router but am unsure if that would get past the interference if that is truly the cause of the problem. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Fozzies

Fozzies

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 08 November 2011 - 03:58 AM

The microowave will only interfere when in use, so its not that. do you have foil backed plasterboard or insulation in your walls, that would drastically interfere. can you turn off the central air unit and retest?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users