Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird screen blackouts and restarts

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Dragongirl

Dragongirl

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 08 November 2011 - 12:30 AM

Hello all, me again

Now I seem to have picked up a strange virus or some such crap again, however so far nothing has been found, I am currently scanning with MBAM {newest update} And so far nothing is found. It started only mionutes ago when the screen of my laptop started restarting itself somehow. It confused me, as if the machine had blacked out or some such. I instantly started running MBAM, I am unsure at the moment now if I should cut my wireless connection and use the other machine, or just keep on trucking.

Basically this is how events were up to the sudden screen blacking out

1, I opened PowerDVD 5 to watch a movie {Rush Hour 3} The movie refused to play, so PowerDVD froze solid, so I killed the process
2,I tried the other side of the DVD, it worked fine and played without a problem.
3, I flipped the same DVD over and tried again. InterActual Player started up, {Which I expected since the movies came with it preloaded} I attempted to let it load the IAPlayer, no such luck, player froze midlaunch
4, I moved the DVD to my portalable DVD player, it plays just fine, no troubles at all

a, Two minutes into the film {I have the PDVDPlayer in my lap, with hte laptop just to the side} my laptop screen went dark, then restarted a second later as if nothing was wrong. I started MSE and did a quick scan, no problems were detected
b, I then went back to my movie, twn minutesl ater the screen once again went dark and restarted a second or so later,again nothing was amiss. So I started MBAM to see if there was something in my machine.

5, When the DVD that refused to play was in the drive, the MY COMPUTER folder refused to work or open. I killed the proccess for it, somehow it created a dumpprep.exe proccess of some kind. So I killed that too. My star bar disappeared, and then returned, everything was normal, I repated the above three steps twice more, on the third time with My Computer folder proccess killed my active desktop also died. I tried to reactivate it, but it said a scripting error, and the really weird thing is, I do not have IE as a icon on my desktop. I removed it.

This is very confusing for me at the moment and I am hoping nothing is wrong with my machine.

The kitten that used to be linked to here in this signature now has her forever home!! Thank you for taking the time to read this signature!

"This is the coolest place I've ever been, and I've only been alive for three days!" ~ Figment

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blathnat

Blathnat

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 09 November 2011 - 06:17 PM

It sounds as though the InterActual Player is not compatible with your PowerDVD version or your system drivers. The Internet Explorer icon was put on the desktop when IAPlayer tried to install. I haven't been able to find a live link on the IA home page, which could also add to the problem.

#3 Dragongirl

Dragongirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2011 - 02:03 AM

Now my sound is chopping when I try to play a movie, musiv works fine, but movies, any kind of movie, even brand new movies, the sound is choppy and skipping, as if the DVD is scratched, I do not know if my computer requires a restart or what. But I had it happen to me once and i t annoyed me to no end. Could not listen to music or watch movies at all at t he time {have since gotten a new computer, this laptop}

The kitten that used to be linked to here in this signature now has her forever home!! Thank you for taking the time to read this signature!

"This is the coolest place I've ever been, and I've only been alive for three days!" ~ Figment

#4 Blathnat

Blathnat

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2011 - 01:22 PM

Have you checked in add/remove programs or Programs and features, depending on the O/S to see if IAPlayer was installed? If so, try to uninstall it.

#5 Dragongirl

Dragongirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2011 - 03:35 PM

Do you think it would be both player software {IAPlayer and PowerDVD} are conflicting and thus causing the choppy sound whenwatching movies ? If I listen to musoic everything is just fine, which confuses me. The screenblacksouts are fine now though, there is nothing wrong there anymore. {Turns out them achine was actually updating.}

#6 Blathnat

Blathnat

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2011 - 05:31 PM

There is a notice on the IinterActal website that missing codecs could be a problem. IAPlayer does need to have a compatible DVD player. They are recommending PowerDVD 6. What version do you have? Since the DVD plays music, and played the non-IA side of the disc without problems, it would appear that the IAPlayer/PowerDVD combination was causing the video driver to react.

Did you check to see if your machine plays video properly after removing any installation of IAPlayer?

#7 Dragongirl

Dragongirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2011 - 05:56 PM

Yes and it still makes the stuttering/lagging of a movie, but it only happens during a movie, music plays absolutely fine. This is annoying because I like ot watch movies on this laptop because of the screensize, and now the sound is all broken and I have no idea of where to go for the proper drivers. What codec is required ? I updated my primary sound driver yesterday afternoon, but troubles still happen. I even uninstalled IAPlayer.

My PowerDVD version is PowerDVD 5 {bought it brand new at the time, if I try to update it I need a credit card which I do not have}

#8 Blathnat

Blathnat

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2011 - 06:41 PM

Have you kept PowerDVD updated? There are a series of patches and updates on the Cyberlink website that may improve the situation. You will need to scroll down to the section for v5 and then be careful to read carefully through the choices as some of the updates are for OEM software and are matched to the machine manufacturers.

http://www.cyberlink.com/downloads/support/powerdvd/patches_en_US.html

#9 Dragongirl

Dragongirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2011 - 06:49 PM

Well I bought the Disc software and it came I think with a code to use, so I installed it with that. I think that would be OEM software right ? a code was supplied to use the software, so naturally I assume it is OEM software.

I will give the place a looksee. But I am unsure if it will work. I was recommended elsewhere to download VLC player and test it, So I did so, however my DVD drive is acting as if it wants to just die on me.

EDIT: I tried playing a DVD, still choppy stuttering sound, tried playing a music CD in the drive, same thing. Anything in the library however works just fine sound wise. no stuttering, no nothing. I think my DCDRom/CDRW drive is dying. and I'm flat broke >.<

Edited by Dragongirl, 10 November 2011 - 07:39 PM.

#10 Blathnat

Blathnat

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2011 - 11:17 PM

OEM software comes on your machine when you buy it and may be specific to that manufacturer. Since you purchased the disc, it is not OEM so you would look for different patches. There is a hardware forum where other users may have other suggestions. I can't see the DVD drive dying on you unless you had problems with it prior to the IAPlayer issue. I would definitely try the patches and or a reinstall first in case the drivers were changed or damaged before I spent money on a new drive. I don't see a malware issue. Cyberlink support will be able to find your key if you have lost it.

#11 Dragongirl

Dragongirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2011 - 01:40 AM

Funny thingis that the CD was just a CD in a sleeve with its install key, normally sold with a machine incase it was required. However I have never had any troubles with it before. I'll check the patches, maybe try installing. And if those are no good I may try to replace my DVD/CDRW drive. the thing is old, ten years in fact {driver date of last driver update is 1-Jul-01, so yeah, old}

EDIT: tried reinstalling PowerDVD 5 and also updated it, still choppy stuttering sound when incerting a movie or audio CD into the drive, I'm thinking my optical drive itself is going.

Edited by Dragongirl, 11 November 2011 - 05:28 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users