Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer freezes when unattended after 15 min.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 wiskerluv

wiskerluv

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 08 November 2011 - 12:07 AM

I am running Win XP Pro and lately it's been freezing up whenever I leave the room for 15 minutes or so. My antivirus tells me I have no infections and I ran Combofix a couple days ago which deleted 2 files (malware). Malware Bytes isn't finding anything either. My drivers are up-to-date so don't know what it could be. Thank you in advance for your help.

Edited by hamluis, 08 November 2011 - 09:04 AM.
Moved from XP to Am I infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 08 November 2011 - 07:43 AM

My antivirus tells me I have no infections and I ran Combofix a couple days ago which deleted 2 files (malware).

I suggest you start by posting in the Am I Infected forum.

#3 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 08 November 2011 - 08:57 AM

Hi wiskerluv,

When was the last time you disassembled the hardware components within your PC case, cleaned it thoroughly with a can of compressed air and put it back together?

If it's been long or if "never" is the answer, that's the first thing I would suggest.

In the process of putting back the components together, you will also have a chance to check the various connections and zip tie your cables for improved air flow inside the case.

Please let us know if this helps, so we can assist you further.
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#4 wiskerluv

wiskerluv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2011 - 04:55 PM

I took the pc apart and blew in the canned air. There was a thick dirty glob of dust which I removed. Everything else was intact. The only improvement was the hard drive isn't struggling and making loud whining sounds anymore. Other than that, it's still freezing up.

#5 Blathnat

Blathnat

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2011 - 06:24 PM

What antivirus products do you have installed, and are any background scans running while it is idle?

#6 wiskerluv

wiskerluv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2011 - 08:42 PM

I am using Spyware Doctor PC Tools with antivirus. I noticed in one of my settings that a box was ticked to enable a scan when pc is idle. I changed that so will see if that is the problem.

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,220 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:20 PM

Hello having run ComboFix we need to see that and a DDS log.

Please go here....
Preparation Guide ,do steps 6 - 9.

Create a DDS log and post it in the new topic explained in step 9 which is here Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs and not in this topic,thanks.
Skip the GMER step and instead post the ComboFix log you have.

Let me know if that went well.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users