Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Double Homicide: Keyboard And Mouse Trouble!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 reddrose

reddrose

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 29 January 2006 - 09:39 PM

Hello!

I am posting on behalf of my mother. As of yesterday, she has been having what have amounted to serious problems! She is running Windows XP. Yesterday when she opened up Microsoft Word processor, she found that her keyboard was not responding! But, the odd thing is this:

1. The numbers, start menu, etc, buttons all work- it only seems to be the letters that are not responding.
2. However, using shift with a letter key still works, I.E, if she hits "f + shift", it brings up the "find" box.
3. The letters will work in other programs- Works is the only one with a problem, it seems.

I can't figure out what could be wrong- obviously, if the keyboard were not plugged in correctly, or had faulty letters, it (or they) simply would not work. :thumbsup:

Sadly, before I could figure out anything, another problem arose: the mouse is now completely unresponsive as well! I just found this out, and have not had a chance to absolutely confirm the basic steps (I.E, is it plugged in right?), but I don't know why it would suddenly unplug itself... :flowers:

In any case, I will check this in the morning and see what I can do as far as testing out, perhaps, a different mouse and keyboard...but I'm still mystified by the "now it works, now it don't" keyboard problem.

:trumpet: Any advice on this is definitely wanted! Thanks guys!
Always acknowledge a fault. This will throw those in authority off their guard and give you an opportunity to commit more.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 30 January 2006 - 08:04 AM

she opened up Microsoft Word processor

Works is the only one with a problem, it seems.

What about the word processor in Works? Do the keys work in that? In other words is it only Word that is affected? What version are we talking about?

Is the mouse PS/2 or USB connected? Wireless? What anti-virus, firewall and anti-spyware programs does your mother have installed on her system? Is Windows Update done regularly (or automatically)?

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 reddrose

reddrose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 30 January 2006 - 09:28 PM

(sigh) :thumbsup:

Sorry for the false alarm, but the problem is solved: the cords had somehow become unplugged. I have no idea why the letters did the whole "now I'm working, now I'm not" thing, but I'm not going to argue... :flowers:

Thanks for the quick reply! :trumpet:
Always acknowledge a fault. This will throw those in authority off their guard and give you an opportunity to commit more.

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 30 January 2006 - 09:51 PM

:thumbsup: Glad you fixed it! :flowers:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users