Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

the system administrator has policies to prevent this installation

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Squiddy

Squiddy

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 07 November 2011 - 09:34 PM

Hi

Im experiencing a probelem where i can uninstall some programs off my laptop as i keep getting the message
"the system administrator has policies to prevent this installation" .

Iv tried going in admin tools and looking for local security policies but i cant find it in there & also iv tried type the code 'secpol.msc/s' in run and keep getting the msg windows cannot find please check its typed properley and check again, but i have it typed properly..

Any other ways to sort this problem ?..

Cheers

Larry

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ken-B

Ken-B

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 08 November 2011 - 01:21 PM

Hi,
If you have Vista Home then secpol is not on your system.

There is a blog here where the Blogger suggests he has a registry fix.
http://www.bhcblog.com/2009/03/09/fix-for-the-system-administrator-has-set-policies-to-prevent-this-installation-error/

I would create a System Restore point if you intend trying the suggestions.
Start > type in ....System Restore ..ENTER
Create the Restore Point from here.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 08 November 2011 - 02:20 PM

Before I attempted any registry edits/"fixes"...I would back up the registry...things go wrong every day.

A good tool for doing such is ERUNT Registry Backup Tool - http://www.snapfiles.com/get/erunt.html .

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.

Louis

#4 LouisR47

LouisR47

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 08 November 2011 - 06:02 PM

Hello squiddy, you need to build an MMC console. OK lets get started.

Start button

type mmc in the search bar hit enter

click yes on the UAC prompt

click file from the console then click add and remove snap-in

search for Group policy object editor highlight it and click add and yes for local computer

also search for Local users and groups highlight it and click add and yes for local computer

click OK and now you have your security polices, give it a name and save it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users