Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is The Worlds Population Growing To Fast For The World To Handle

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 29 January 2006 - 09:29 PM

I was wondering just how many people were on this planet. Its a guess but they estimate that 5 people are born every second and 2 people die. That means ever second we gain 3 people.

We have over 6 billion people on this planet now. By 2035 there if at the current estimated rate there will be over 10 billion people here.

Do you think this planet can take and support 10 billion people?

We are such lazy people now days. I have heard from my parents and grandparents of the "old days" and what they did when they were young.

When they wanted a ride they would catch a ride with neighbors. This saved fuel.

Now days we go to the same (example that could and probably happenes) job place as our neighbor but drive our own fuel sucking SUV instead of simply riding with the neighbor or friend.

Did you know that a suv puts out more pollution than a airplane?

You know they say we are going to run out of fuel one day. The earth only has so much oil then what?

I read we could save 60% or so of the energy needed to make some products just by recycling.

Most people just throw away those tin cans and paper magazines when were done. What happenes when 10 billion people start doing this in the near future?

Another story I was told of was when my parents were young and even my parents parents they didnt heat there whole house. They burned wood and then only heated one or two rooms of there house. When they went to bed they would wear thick clothes as they did during the day and then would pile on the blankets.

Now we heat our whole house. So we can be comfortable and only use a thin blanket in the winter.

This just takes lots of energy gernerated by coal mostly.

Well what do you think? Do you think at the current rate of growth would we not kill ourselves if we didnt change?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2006 - 06:21 AM

Both yes and no. Yes as 3rd world countries continue to populate in ever increasing numbers. But no as Industrialized nations decrease child production. The only way to stop the 3rd world trend (and the AIDS outbreak in Africa) is to educate the youth and encourage safe sex and/or absentance. The Moral Majority(I laugh at that thought) has a problem w/ the handing out of free condoms in Africa even though studies showed that when the program was in place new AIDS infections and pregnacies were down until they cut the funding. If we were to back out of Africa today (stop the sex-ed and famine relief) the trend would eventually kill its self off. While it may sound caluse AIDS has no cure and is passed down from generation to generation thus weakening any chance of those peoples ablity to pull themseves out of this tragedy.

Edit: As for heating the house my roommates keep the A/C on until its too cold then turn the heat up until its too hot (wateing energy to an extreme). Thank goodness I dont have to pay the electricity bill.

Edited by BlackSpyder, 31 January 2006 - 06:25 AM.

Posted Image

#3 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 07 February 2006 - 12:22 AM

[quote name='http://www.econlib.org/library/Enc/Population.html']Fluctuations in Generation Size
Fluctuations in generation size also cause problems. When a small generation pays high taxes to support a large retired one, as will soon happen in the United States, issues of fairness arise. Changes in generation size also affect the labor market. When the small U.S. generation born in the depressed thirties reached the labor market in the fifties, its small size relative to the demand for new workers brought it easy employment, high wages, and rapid advancement. But when the baby-boom generation reached the labor market in the seventies, it experienced relatively high unemployment, low wages, and slow promotion. This picture is complicated by immigration, as well as changing patterns of international trade and education. If the future imitates the past, however, the baby-bust generation entering the labor market in the nineties may again do relatively well.[/quote]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Worldpo...th-billions.jpg

According to thove wikipeida image, looks like they don't expect the population to have as big as a "jump" as it previously has.

Just pulling some statistics and random stuff off of website... :thumbsup:

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2006 - 10:35 AM

While there is a general agreement about the estimate of current world population, projections of future growth become more difficult because of both the number and relative weight of complicated variables that are applied. Just as importantly is the uncertainty about major catastrophic events: Avain flu, HIV-Aids, a major war or revolution, the rate of global warming- - -just to name a few.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2006 - 11:30 PM

However, it is simple for one to get a prediction. One must simply take the "birth rate per second," and subtract all the deaths that occur every second. As long as the birth rate remains higher (which it most likely will), the populatino of the world will increase.

http://www.census.gov/population/www/popclockus.html

One birth every.................................. 8 seconds
One death every.................................. 12 seconds
One international migrant (net) every............ 31 seconds
Net gain of one person every..................... 13 seconds

http://www.census.gov/ipc/www/popclockworld.html

#6 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2006 - 12:12 AM

I think the death rate is a average. Things like the war in iraq can cause deaths more often than the average.

There are also weather changes that can change the average amount of deaths too.

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,078 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2006 - 10:57 AM

Personally and I truly hate to be Mr. Doom & Gloom, but I do believe that famine,disease (naturally occurring and created) and some type of nuclear event will prevent us from overpopulating ourselves to death.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 698 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2006 - 05:38 PM

Have you ever met anyone that ASKED to be born?
Probably not.
Once a child is born,it is subjected to all the horrors of sickness & eventual death.
Not having asked to be born in the first place...
Babies aren't pets.
They sometimes grow up & die.
Think about it before you decide to have a baby.

Spay & neuter not only your pets...
Think about yourself first...
Don't add to the horror...

#9 BanditFlyer

BanditFlyer

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 15 April 2006 - 01:15 AM

I think human population growth will level off within the next 20 years and start to decrease after that.

This is based on the pattern that is happening in most economically 'mature' nations.

The implications of this prediction are really the most shocking part - in every instance that this has happened it has resulted in economic problems for the nation suffering from population loss.

It's happened in France, Germany, Japan. Japan was an especially devasted case - they went into an economic recession that they just passed out of this year :thumbsup:

If/when the entire world follows in the footsteps of Japan, the economic depression that results will make the Great Depression look like small potatoes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users