Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Following Ubuntu

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Keith1

Keith1

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 07 November 2011 - 08:52 PM

For quite awhile, Ubuntu has been at the top of the list at Distrowatch. But, since the advent of 11.10 - using Unity, it is dropping in the ratings.

Posted Image

It will be quite interesting as to which desktop environments will be available in the next LTS ( 12.04 ) due out in late April next year.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rburkartjo

rburkartjo

• Members
  • 3,982 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2011 - 11:42 PM

keith ubuntu has no plans to drop unity. on the tech boards most of the younger users really like it. also was made to be more compatible with tablets etc. unity or unity2 just doesnt run as fast as gnome or xfce does on my dual core system and it is less than 5 years old. note users can still use gnome xfce or whatever untiy is just installed by default. we will see what happens with 12.04
quote:He that would live in peace & at ease, Must not speak all he knows,nor judge all he sees.'

#3 rburkartjo

rburkartjo

• Members
  • 3,982 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2011 - 10:27 AM

keith good link on linux mint 12 due out later

Posted Image Linux Mint 12 Builds Custom Desktop on Top of GNOME 3
quote:He that would live in peace & at ease, Must not speak all he knows,nor judge all he sees.'

#4 scurvychef

scurvychef

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2011 - 11:32 AM

I switched to Mint because of Unity. I am excited for the new release because I thinks Mint 11 needs a little spice. Ubuntu was quite efficient after I got used to Unity, I just hope the new Gnome isn't going to repeat all the mistakes of Unity

#5 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2011 - 01:02 PM

Thanks for the link Ray, excellent information.

I'm following this Ubuntu stuff, because I'm curious as to if the Ubuntu 'powers that be' might listen to what all is going on with folks hating Unity. They've still got over five months to reconsider what all will be offered in the final 12.04 release. For now, I'm sticking with 11.10/Unity just to learn it the best I can.

I really like Mint however, and could quite easily be convinced to switch over to it if Ubuntu doesn't make some changes by the time 12.04 comes out. One thing I wonder about, and haven't been able to find an answer for - can I use Ubuntu One in Mint? I have a ton of my current stuff stored there, and it would make changing over a lot easier.

#6 scurvychef

scurvychef

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2011 - 01:05 AM

I just checked my software center Keith. There is an Ubuntuone client that provides integration for the Gnome desktop! :)

I have never used it but am a little familiar with its purpose. I may check it out!

#7 rburkartjo

rburkartjo

• Members
  • 3,982 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2011 - 04:52 AM

imho i just dont think mint is as polished as ubuntu. and again if you dont like unity you can still use the classic desktop, kde,xfce,open box, etc. i have 11.11 set to boot into what ever so i can check them out. and as i have posted on my thread you can still add the classic tool bar and a bottom tool bar to unity.

#8 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2011 - 01:35 PM

Thanks for checking on that for me scurvychef.

#9 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2011 - 06:11 PM

Posted Image

#10 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2011 - 09:29 PM

I personally think Mint is a lot more polished. And more complete, too.

I've only messed with Unity a little bit. A very little bit. I don't like the layout, and I really don't like the poor configuration options. I use a netbook almost exclusively and hate most of the launchers made for netbooks as well. Some of them are a lot like Unity. If I hate one I'm bound to hate the other, too.

I've gone back to mess with Ubuntu off and on since it started. But when Mint came along I stayed with it far more often and far longer. I've had fewer problems with things acting up from it than with others from the same line. (I couldn't even get Kubuntu to boot properly until it had been out for a few years, so I'll always have a bad taste in my mouth from that one.)

I'm not married to a single distro anyway. I sometimes go through 3 or 4 in the course of a month. Sometimes 3 in a week. But if I stay with one for very long (defined as two or more months), it's more likely to be Mint (LXDE version), with Lubuntu coming in not real far behind.

I expect since Mint is divorcing itself from Ubuntu, the differences are going to be even greater. Hopefully in the positive direction.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users