Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Donating to Bleeping Computer helpers/pros

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dawnzig

dawnzig

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 07 November 2011 - 08:37 PM

Hi all,

A bit unsure where, exactly, I should post this....hoping this is ok. :)

Anyway, I'm wanting to get a consensus on what you guys/gals think is a 'reasonable' amount to donate to someone who's helped
analyze and heal an infected system.

Of course, I realize the amount of time/efforts/involvement play a role, but I'd appreciate some thoughts on: hourly vs. lump sum and what you would consider 'fair' if you were the person volunteering.

Thank everyone~
Kindly,
dawn(zig)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 08 November 2011 - 03:15 AM

A donation is like a tip: there's no rule that says what is a good tip and what is a bad tip, likewise for donations. It all depends on the person giving the tip.

Getting help here at Bleeping Computer will always be free-of-charge, but if you feel that you want to donate to someone who helped you, it's up to you to decide how much to give. In the end, for many, perhaps all, of the MRT members, the size-- or offer-- of a donation isn't the motivation which drives them to keep coming back everyday to help more people; it's the knowledge that they are helping someone. A kind word is more than enough thanks, but of course a jingle in the tip jar is nice too.

#3 dawnzig

dawnzig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 08 November 2011 - 03:26 AM

Thanks, Andrew. Nice take on how that works. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users