Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Second Problem After Restore

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 EdithBunker

EdithBunker

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 29 January 2006 - 09:17 PM

I just did a system restore from the disks. (went back to 98 from ME)

I had two differing problems, so posting two topics!

I have 384.0 RAM, and only 41% free. It was running fine-- in fact faster than it had been in awhile. (I'd had a lot of programs on it before the restore). Then I got the AV, secyurity and firewall offered by my ISP, which are McAfee. After the firewall was installed, the mouse started hanging up and moving irratically sometimes.

I've also downloaded the windows updates, but that is all I've put back so far-- no printer, nothing else.

I want a firwall, but I don't want that slow of a computer. What to do? :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 29 January 2006 - 09:23 PM

I would ditch MacAfee also. It is a resource hog, so is Norton. Here are some recommended programs...

Antivirus (Run only one.)
AVG Free Edition Antivirus (I personally use)
Avast Home Edition Antivirus Freeware
AntiVir Personal Edition Classic Freeware
BitDefender 8 Free Edition

Antispyware
Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta (2000,and XP only)
Spybot Tutorial
AdAware SE Personal Edition Tutorial
SpyBlaster Tutorial
SpywareGuard Tutorial

Trojan Removal Tool
Ewido Anti-Malware After a 14 day trial it will not scan automaticily(2000, and XP only)(Features)
A Squared Free

Online scans
Trendmicro's Housecall Internet Explorer Only
Trendmicro"s Housecall FoxFire Only
Panda's ActiveScan Internet Explorer Only
F-secure's Virus Scan Internet Explorer Only
SyGate's Trojan scan
eTrust Antivirus Web Scanner Internet Explorer Only

Removal Tools
Kaspersky Removal Tools
AVG Manual Virus Removal tool
MacAfee Stinger Virus Removal Tool
Symantec's Viurs Removal Tools
BitDefender Removal Tools Free

Utility
cCleaner
Everest Home (hardware and software information)
Belarc Diagnostic Tool

Firewalls(Run only one.)
Zone Alarm Free for Personal Use
SyGate Personal Free Edition (I personally use)
OutPost Firewall Free
Jetico Personal Free
Kerio Free Personal Firewall

Best of all... they are free.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 EdithBunker

EdithBunker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 30 January 2006 - 04:27 PM

Thank you once again, Acklan for your very helpful advice.

I had Zone Alarm awhile back, it was a bit of a system hog also. Are all firewalls system hogs? I hadn't realized McAfee would be such a hog!! LOL!

One thing I do like that I got from McAfee. (this was all "free" as part of the service from Comcast) There is a Privacy Service. I can set it to prompt me each time a site wants to add cookines. I may eventually change that function, but for now, it's interesting to see how many come up from one page!

I do understand only one firewall and AV, I'm going to change my firewall first. Now all these other sugggestions--I had Adaware, Spybot, and Spywareguard. I want to start downloading these again, also. The others, I'm gonna have to learn more. Back to the tutorials!! LOL!

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 30 January 2006 - 07:12 PM

Most browsers have a cookie prompt if you search through the defaults/tools section, or just search for "cookies" in the Help file to find out how to change the default, so there wasn't much value-added with McAfee.

You can always TRY OUT Zone/alarm or Sygate; since both are free, and see which YOU prefer.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 30 January 2006 - 08:21 PM

In IE you can adjust IE>Tools>Internet Options>Privacy>Advance (tab) This will allow you to control the cookies. I personally only allow the cookies I have to to use the internet. Some let everything. All don't forget to clear your cookies and Inernet Temp files every night.
In FF>Tools>Options...>Privacy>Cookies

No offence meant but both Norton and MacAfee are poor choices. There are better (freeware) software option that don't "boat anchor" you system. IMO
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users