Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer freezes & won't restart

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ep2002

ep2002

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 07 November 2011 - 06:20 PM

EDIT: I moved this to XP a I suspect it's a driver and not malware.
Hi,

So here goes...

I know I should have come here sooner, but I thought I got it fixed by a local guy.

Since I don't trust people locally as they have little to no computer skills, I was looking for someone remotely to fix the problem, but I couldn't find anyone or they played games.

About 3 weeks ago my computer started crashing (sometimes where everything freezes, sometimes where I can use the mouse, but I can't click on anything that was open). When I use the restart button even though the computer starts up, the monitor is black.

There's also 3 beeps instead of 1. Someone told me that's a memory issue.

This new memory is about 8 months old. Didn't have any problems until now.

Sometimes I get to my computer & she's just dead even though she's still on.

I took it to a guy who thought it was the video card. He took it out tried to put his in, that didn't work, tried to put mine back in, that worked. He said sometimes you just have to take the hardware out & put it back in again.

I thought it was fixed, but it wasn't. When I called him back, he played "I'm busy games" so I knew I had been ripped off, that he has no clue what he's doing, he just got lucky.

Usually this happens once every few days, but over the weekend, it's been increasing to every day & yesterday I got a Windows error message.

ati2dvag

Device driver go t stuck in an infinite loop. This usually indicates a problem with the device itself or with the device driver programming the hardware incorrectly.

Please check your hardware device vendor for driver updates

Stop: 0x000000EA
(0x897533C0, 0x8A1E37B0, 0xBA4FBCBC

I did look up the "ati2dvag" & found this, but am scared to use it unless you guys say it's ok to use.

How can it be both the memory & the video card?

I'm going to go look for driver updates as soon as I send this off.

The only old things in the computer are the video card & MB. The HD, RAM & power supply I got this year at the beginning or thereabouts.

I have been having computer issues prior to this (as usual), but nothing this bad where I can't even use this computer.

Thank gawd when I power it off & let it sit for a few hours she powers back on, but this is clearly serious :(

Please HELP!

If I don't have a computer, I can't work, I can't communicate with family, friends, etc. I rely 1000% on my computer.

Thank you

Michelle

-------

Stats

XP (all updated)
Avira
MBAM paid version

http://i972.photobucket.com/albums/ae209/michellek2010/ComputerStats.jpg

Edited by boopme, 07 November 2011 - 11:27 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 08 November 2011 - 08:37 AM

<<I did look up the "ati2dvag" & found this, but am scared to use it unless you guys say it's ok to use.>>

You should never even consider using programs that promise that they can repair whatever is wrong...by removing registry files from your system. Even if the premise is correct (removing reg files will alleviate the problem)...such programs are dangerous. That doesn't even take into account the fact that your registry entries may not be the problem.

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:
  • Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.
  • Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.
  • Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.
  • Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.
  • The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.
Can you post a screenshot from Disk Management?

Also...to save a lot of questions and answers...can you follow the directions Here . Thanks :).

What does your motherboard manual state...that the beep codes signify? I don't seem to be able to get an English version of the manual.

Louis

#3 ep2002

ep2002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2011 - 01:29 PM

Hi,

Ok, that's why I came on here.

1. I don't have the manual for my MB or if I did, it's long gone.

2. I already gave you the specs to my computer, didn't you look at the URL I gave you?

Thanks

Michelle

#4 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 10 November 2011 - 01:27 PM

I already gave you the specs to my computer, didn't you look at the URL I gave you?

Do you mean this?

http://i972.photobucket.com/albums/ae209/michellek2010/ComputerStats.jpg

If yes, could you open Speecy.
~ In Speccy, click File, and then click Publish Snapshot.
~ In the Publish Snapshot dialog box, click Yes to enable Speccy to proceed.
~ Speccy publishes the profile and displays a second Publish Snapshot. You can open the URL in your default browser, copy it to the clipboard and paste it on your next post.

There's also 3 beeps instead of 1. Someone told me that's a memory issue.

To me. 3 beeps usually indicate a VGA malfunction. but this depends on BIOS manufacture.

Could you provide more information about your Computer on your next post? If you use Speecy, Please give url of your Speecy Profile not a screenshot of Speecy.

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#5 ep2002

ep2002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2011 - 03:18 PM

Hi there,

What's a VGA again? Please don't tell me it's the MB :(

Here it is. Thank you, I didn't know it was that simple LOL, I hope I remember for next time.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/jC4uohDbvT41HfnQ13IQvLl

Michelle

#6 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 11 November 2011 - 10:41 AM

VGA is Video Graphic Adapter or Video Card.

I think you problem is between your VGA has been not seated properly or maybe has been malfunction or your BIOS (Mainboard)need to update.

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#7 ep2002

ep2002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2011 - 04:25 PM

Ok, well he already took the video card out & put it back in, so it should be seated properly.

So what do I do?

Thanks

Michelle

#8 kbit

kbit

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 11 November 2011 - 07:12 PM

here is beep codes
http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/awardbeep.htm#
one long , two short has to do with video , might need new video card

#9 ep2002

ep2002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2011 - 04:00 PM

Ok, since I guess I have to buy one, can someone recommend a really good one pls. both in speed or stats & brand name & approx. price.

Does this affect my video watching?

Meaning, will it stop videos from freezing up if it's not the fault of the server hosting the video?

Thanks

Michelle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users