Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard fried. Need to buy a new one and a processor.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 thaull

thaull

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 07 November 2011 - 04:12 PM

My motherboard is fried and I need to buy a new one. My motherboard was Motherboard Specifications, M2N68-LA (Narra3) HP Pavilion a6430f Desktop PC - HP Customer Care (United States - English)

My processor is "AMD Athlon 7750 2.7GHz Dual Core Processor" and my graphics card is Newegg.com - EVGA 896-P3-1257-AR GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked Edition 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

I don't know if my power supply also matters in finding a compatible motherboard, but it's Newegg.com - OCZ GameXStream OCZ600GXSSLI 600W ATX12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply

I'm thinking of buying this processor and motherboard, but I'm not sure if they would be worth it, or if there are much better options. My budget is around $130.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103953
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131673
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157226

It will be used for heavy-duty gaming, so I need a motherboard that can take it and won't overheat, because that's how my motherboard died.

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 07 November 2011 - 10:25 PM

What games are you playing? None of those choices are good for modern games. A few points to consider:

1. Whenever possible, buy the Phenom II's or the FX line of CPU's over an Athlon. The Athlon's are meant for lower-end systems without many demands. Even if an Athlon II X4 was clocked at the same speed of a Phenom II X4, the Phenom II would win due to a more efficient architecture.

2. Buy at least an AMD 800 series motherboard, if possible, a 900 as these are newer can take newer hardware. Be aware that most current motherboards take DDR3, not DDR2 so you will not be able to reuse your RAM. You will also have to reinstall Windows from scratch.

3. If you are using the same HP case, you will probably have to use a micro ATX board as that is what the Pavilion used for the original now-fried motherboard.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users