Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

iexplore.exe 'Windows Recovery' Virus/Malware

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Weeks

Chris Weeks

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 07 November 2011 - 03:49 PM

Hi.

A few days ago my desktop, running Windows XP, became infected with a virus.

A fake 'Windows Recovery' program flashed up, telling me I had allsorts of issues with my machine, my desktop went black, hiding everything and tried its best to stop me running any of my programs.

I have run RKill, then Malwarebytes and 'Unhide' to recover my desktop and although this has stopped the main issues I still believe there are problems, notably with 'iexplore.exe' showing up in the task manager processes.

I understand that this is common place if you're running IE, but I am not, this process starts itself and takes up a large amount of ram, sometimes as much as 150-200MB.

I've tried running other antivirus, spyware, regfix programs to help with this probelm, to no avail.

It's driving me a bit mental as I'm just not sure if my PC is safe to use or not.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,911 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 07 November 2011 - 11:36 PM

Hello,

Please follow the instructions in ==>This Guide<== starting at step 6. If you cannot complete a step, skip it and continue.

Once the proper logs are created, then post them in a reply to this topic by using the Add Reply button.

If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the post and explain what happens when you try to create the log(s) that you couldn't get. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then still post the reply and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happens when you try to create the logs.

Please note that I am not a member of the Malware Removal Team and will not be assisting you in removing the infection. I'm simply helping you to post the information they need in order to assist you.

If HelpBot replies to your topic, PLEASE follow Step One so it will report your topic to the team members.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 Chris Weeks

Chris Weeks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2011 - 05:17 AM

Thanks for the reply, I will follow steps from Step 6 onwards;)

#4 Chris Weeks

Chris Weeks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2011 - 07:39 AM

Step 6: I used DeFogger to Disable my CD Emulation Software.

Step 7: I disabled any/all script blocking programs and D.D.S runs, but for about 7 minutes and then my machine totally freezes and I have to restart, I have tried this 5 times now with the same result, so no logs produced. I noted that about half way through the scan a msg quickly flashes up in the D.D.S interface mentioning that something could not be found, but it flashes up so quickly that I can't note down what it is.

Step 8: GMER. Upon extracting and trying to open GMER I get this msg...

LoadDriver("C:\DOCUME~1\RICHAR~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\pxtdabob.sys")error 0xC000010E: Cannot create a stable subkey under a volatile parent key.

GMER still opens, but I only get the option to scan Services, Registry & Files...

I scanned it anyway and here is the log:Attached File  ark.txt..log   4.21KB   1 downloads

#5 Chris Weeks

Chris Weeks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2011 - 07:56 AM

Hi.

I've been having problems with my Windows XP desktop PC for a week now. It was/is infected with the 'Windows Recovery' Virus. I managed to get the PC back to a working state, but I still believe that my iexplore.exe has been hijacked or remnants of the virus are still on my machine.

iexplore.exe starts by itself in processes and hogs about 150-200MB of RAM.
I have tried running anti-virus spyware, malware, adware programs to fix the issue, but nothing has helped. I've also tried searching for all instances of iexplore on my hard-drive and deleting them, also tried to delete IE itself, but it doesn't give me the option to remove/unistall in control panel & everytime I directly delete the .exe file it just pops back up.

If someone could take a look at my HijackThis log it would be most appreciated. I've noted that iexplore.exe appears in there as IEXPLORE.EXE which is immediately suspicious + IE was not running when I did the HijackThis scan.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4
Scan saved at 12:44:20, on 10/11/2011
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.17103)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\Antimalware\MsMpEng.exe
C:\Program Files\Trusteer\Rapport\bin\RapportMgmtService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\msseces.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Canon\CAL\CALMAIN.exe
C:\Program Files\Trusteer\Rapport\bin\RapportService.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\taskmgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HiJackThis\HiJackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.google.co.uk/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=80744
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
R3 - Default URLSearchHook is missing
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {5C255C8A-E604-49b4-9D64-90988571CECB} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: Windows Live Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
O2 - BHO: Java™ Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - {E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll
O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {4E7BD74F-2B8D-469E-A6FB-F862B587B57D} - (no file)
O3 - Toolbar: Easy-WebPrint - {327C2873-E90D-4c37-AA9D-10AC9BABA46C} - C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Toolband.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSC] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\msseces.exe" -hide -runkey
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSConfig] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\MSConfig.exe /auto
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\RunOnce: [RunNarrator] Narrator.exe (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'Default user')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\RunOnce: [RunNarrator] Narrator.exe (User 'Default user')
O9 - Extra button: Blog This - {219C3416-8CB2-491a-A3C7-D9FCDDC9D600} - C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Writer\WriterBrowserExtension.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: &Blog This in Windows Live Writer - {219C3416-8CB2-491a-A3C7-D9FCDDC9D600} - C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Writer\WriterBrowserExtension.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\windows\system32\nwprovau.dll
O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://www.orange.co.uk
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Browseui preloader - {438755C2-A8BA-11D1-B96B-00A0C90312E1} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\browseui.dll
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Component Categories cache daemon - {8C7461EF-2B13-11d2-BE35-3078302C2030} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\browseui.dll
O23 - Service: Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService) - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: Rapport Management Service (RapportMgmtService) - Trusteer Ltd. - C:\Program Files\Trusteer\Rapport\bin\RapportMgmtService.exe

--
End of file - 5314 bytes

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Edited by Chris Weeks, 10 November 2011 - 03:56 PM.
Merged topics. ~ OB

#6 Chris Weeks

Chris Weeks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2011 - 07:19 AM

After many days/hours trying to rectify this I think I've fixed it, so consider this topic closed

#7 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,911 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 12 November 2011 - 03:08 PM

It appears that this issue is resolved, therefore I am closing the topic. If that is not the case and you need or wish to continue with this topic, please send me or any Moderator a Personal Message (PM) that you would like this topic re-opened.
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users