Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstall Tiger

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 altenuta

altenuta

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 07 November 2011 - 02:32 PM

I have a G4 500 running Tiger 10.4.11 and it has failed on me. Unfortunately I have a DVD Ram and it will not boot the install disk. I booted to a Mac Mini with a FW cable and ran Disk Recover to get my Apps and files off of it. Now I have booted the install disk on the mini. From here should I do a fresh install from the cd or use Restore in Disk Utility using the os on the mini? Is there a better way to go about restoring my old machine?

Thank you
Al

Edited by altenuta, 07 November 2011 - 02:54 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 700 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2011 - 05:51 PM

I'd try an Archive and Install from the supplied disk first. It should keep your data and apps intact and if you choose to, your preferences. If you don't need the data and apps do a fresh install, but you will need to update all software and install any 3rd party apps.

#3 altenuta

altenuta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2011 - 06:21 PM

Thanks. I've already tried that and get a msg. "Install Failed". Wish I could do some sort of workaround.

Al

#4 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 700 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2011 - 11:47 PM

What is the S.M.A.R.T. status of the hard drive? Have you tried repairing it with Disk Utility? Any errors listed when repairing it?

#5 altenuta

altenuta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2011 - 11:52 AM

Well I finally gave up and did an erase and install. That was cool. I started up to a fresh empty desktop. I saw trash in the trash folder so I clicked on it and that's the end of the story. Got beachball for a long time and everything was froze so I restarted and it won't go past the gray screen.

To give you background, I did a disk verify and it gave me the following. Invalid sibling link (4, 209, 64) Volume Check Failed. At some point I did a checksum and it returned UDIF-crc32 Result CRC32 $1A5660D4.

I think I need to find another HD and replace my old one. I still have my Apps and files on the other machine as a result of running Data Rescue in target mode.

Any bright ideas greatly appreciated.

Al

#6 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 700 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2011 - 02:24 PM

Here's one thing you could try.
And your last option. If DW can't fix it, nothing will.

#7 altenuta

altenuta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2011 - 03:35 PM

I reinstalled and was setting up my enet and it froze. I restarted and it took hours for it to fully boot again. I came back to work this morning and it was at the initial setup screen, actually the internet setup. It was running but ever so slow. I booted up the installer and ran disk Utility. Lots of permissions needed repair. Ran Verify Disk and it stopped at Checking Catalog file with an Invalid Key Length error. When the reinstall is complete I'll run DW from a flash drive to see if it can fix it. Any otther ideas?

Thanks,
Al

#8 Jerryo1314

Jerryo1314

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 25 January 2012 - 09:17 PM

"I think I need to find another HD and replace my old one."

I sure think so.How can you trust this drive.
Jerry

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users