Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Off grid DC power supply question

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 D-C

D-C

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 07 November 2011 - 02:24 PM

Hi all. I currently run off my 12v house system, through an inverter, then into the ?brick? for my HP dv5000 notebook, which then provides 18.6 DCv to my puter. I see a cheap adapter on Ebay that lists 20 volts as its output. I'm thinking it would be more efficient to skip a step, (inverter), and run on that. Any thoughts on if this might over volt the puter or cause trouble with the batteries? Thanks, Don.

Edited by D-C, 07 November 2011 - 02:25 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 07 November 2011 - 04:39 PM

I would be leery of "cheap" adapters they tend to have inferior components and do not accurately provide the proper power (Wattage or Voltage) output. 20VDC may not fry your laptop but I wouldn't suggest it, The more power you feed it that it doesn't use it has to dissipate as heat.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 D-C

D-C
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 07 November 2011 - 11:24 PM

Much thanks. Partly with your inspiration I searched a little better and found a still "affordable" ($16), 18.5 Volt from China that mentions HP. Am curious at what low voltage this HP shuts down off it's own batteries. I looked at the battery case thinking of putting a pig-tail out so I could monitor the exact voltage, but the blade/plug was so fine I didn't want to mess with it. I'll try to get back with how the Chinese supply works, if it's more efficient. (drawing around 2.7 A now) Thanks again, D.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users