Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Just Did A System Restore In Win98

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 EdithBunker

EdithBunker

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 29 January 2006 - 08:10 PM

I have read some of the posts here about the system restores done--guess I'm not alone that some things didn't work! :thumbsup:

My screen is now at 16 color, not 16 bit, but 16 color. (the only other choice is 2 color!) The screen looks like I am in safe mode. I had done one other system restore about 4 yrs ago, and didn't run into this.
I had origionally had several choices 16 color, 16 bit, 256 color, 32 bit--can't remember if there were more.
Between that previous restore and this one, I had upgraded to ME (bad move, long story, needed to restore! LOL!) And had added a video card-- ATI, I think.

I wanted to take this backwards, and not reload the video card so my son could play his out-of date games that needed to have 256 color, as it was always messing up the computer with the ATI card. (as well as other problems) I may have ruined that ATI anyway, because on reading the other posts, I just learned i was supposed to unhook a lot of stuff. (I didn't disconnect the cable, printer, router, or do whatever it was that I was s'posed to do with the ATI card! :inlove: CRINGE!)

(just picture Edith Bunker on a computer, huh? LOL! :flowers: )

What can i do to get my colors back?

I do have another problme, maybe not related, so i will start another post, based on what i read in "before you post here" :trumpet:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 29 January 2006 - 08:41 PM

Delete the display adapter from the Device Manager. Insert the driver CD/driver and boot your computer. Windows ME will install the adapter. When prompted choose to pick the driver. When the screen comes up select Have disk....
This should allow you to install the proper drivers.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 EdithBunker

EdithBunker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2006 - 09:00 PM

acklan
Thanks for your reply. I didn't explain myself very well. The system restore took my computer back to Windows 98. I didn't like ME! LOL!

I had used the two restore disks that came with the computer when I'd gotten it. The color settings had not changed the last time I did the restore, but that time I wasn't moving back from ME-- I'd still had 98 then.
Will these same disks have the driver on them? Any idea why they installed right the first time, but didn't this time?

Thanks

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2006 - 09:08 PM

If the card came with the computer they should. Sometime Win9X get tessty and does not reconize devices it should. I you know what card you have you may want to download the lastest from the factory web site.
Do yourself a favor. Move to W2k. I installed W2k on all my kids computers and have no regrets. It is lite on resources, I refer to it as XP lite. It is every bit a tough as XP but runs on much slower systems. I have it on 2 P-II 400mhz with 512mb RAM and it chuggs right along.

#5 EdithBunker

EdithBunker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2006 - 04:03 PM

Acklan,
I gave in and used the ATI driver-- I at least knew which one that one was. It's nice to have a better sized screen.

I hear you about the W2k, but I am not sure I ever want to do an upgrade again--this computer slowly and steadily went downhill after the ME upgrade! I also don't know if this computer would even have what it needs to run it--we'd origionally tried to upgrade to XP and it wouldn't boot up.. Sompin about a motherboard and processor!! LOL!

Thanks for your advice!

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2006 - 08:08 PM

Long as you are happy with your system that's what counts. Like I said W2k is light on resources. I start using W2k on a Dell GX1 P-II 333mhz 128mb RAM (That is a 66mhz bus) until I upgrade the processor to a PowerLeap upgrade 950mhz .
I'm glad you sorted it out. Let us know if we can help you with aanything else.

Edited by acklan, 30 January 2006 - 08:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users