Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

desktop shows no display HP pavilion media ctr m8200nPC

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 shashman

shashman

• Members
  • 179 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 07 November 2011 - 12:00 PM

When I turn on the laptop, both the power supply and the processor fans turn on. But thats it. There is no beep indicating successful boot, and there is no display on the monitor, not even the hp logo. What is going on? Do I need a new video card? Do I need to reinstall the operating system. Please help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LouisR47

LouisR47

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2011 - 03:53 PM

Hello, If the computer was malfunctioning at all before the laptop completely stopped showing display, could you please describe.

#3 shashman

shashman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 179 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2011 - 12:29 AM

louis,

Sorry for the word laptop, it is a desktop. Actually the last thing I did was edit a word file, and then when I shut it down, it shut down properly. But then when I turned it on, there was no familiar beep indicating succesful POST, in fact there were no beeps and there was no display on the monitor either

#4 LouisR47

LouisR47

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2011 - 02:39 AM

OK are you using onboard video graphics or PCI-E? If it's PCI-E try removing the card and using the onboard video, if your using onboard video then yes you might need a video card.
If that doesn't fix it, you could try switching power supplies or checking your motherboards for any bulging or exploding capacitors.

#5 shashman

shashman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 179 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2011 - 03:53 AM

Yes , right now theres onboard video, so since the onboard video isnt working , I guess Ill have to try a PCI video card. But how do I know whether I need a PCI card or a PCIe card?

#6 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 08 November 2011 - 10:05 AM

^ Well, you could share your system specifications with us.

Use this little program to gather and export your specs:

Speccy
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#7 LouisR47

LouisR47

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2011 - 11:14 AM

I have already checked your motherboards specs you can use PCI or PCI-E. If you already have a PCI video card you could try that, if you need to buy one just go PCI-E. I use Newegg when it time for something new.

Edited by LouisR47, 08 November 2011 - 11:15 AM.

#8 shashman

shashman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 179 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2011 - 11:19 PM

I bought a XFX - Radeon HD 4550 Graphics Card from bestbuy and put it in the pcie slot. Then I fired up the computer, but still no display. Shouldnt I have some display? I checked the power supply. It delivers a max of 300W. Could the power supply be too low in power? All the fans and leds and everything come on though.
What should I check next

#9 LouisR47

LouisR47

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2011 - 11:32 PM

Sometimes testing the power supply will give back positive results, but the power supply can not power the system. If you can borrow a power supply or use one from another computer, one don't have to install it. Just connect the motherboard power, keyboard, mouse, and video to see if that works. Did you check the motherboard at all the see if the capacitors were bulging or exploding?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users