Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Locked out of XP laptop

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 audioAl

audioAl

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 07 November 2011 - 10:52 AM

My 5 year old child has locked me out of my XP laptop pc, what should I do ? I understand I can type in a code to gain access to my laptop, is this true?

Edited by hamluis, 07 November 2011 - 12:07 PM.
Merged topics.

Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit/Intel e5300 cpu/ASRock G41M-LE mainboard/G max4500 onboard graphics/4gigs OCZ 800Mhz ram/ VIA onboard HD Vinyl audio/Yamaha RX-V465 HT receiver/ Cambridge SoundWorks and Infinity RS1001 speakers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 07 November 2011 - 11:28 AM

Define "Locked Out"

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 07 November 2011 - 11:59 AM

It may help...if you tell us the manufacturer and model of said laptop. AFAIK, there is no generic solution to systems built by differing manufacturers.

Louis

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2011 - 12:02 PM

You've posted the same question in another thread and I've responded there.

Mod Edit: Merged topics ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 07 November 2011 - 12:07 PM.

#5 audioAl

audioAl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2011 - 01:38 PM

First off I wish to extend my apology for the protocol mishap. The laptop pc is an HP Pavilion dv7.3165dx running Windows 7 home premium not XP. The administrator
has been locked out and they can only log in as a guest, they don't know the password for the adm. Can I recover the password somehow? Or is there another solution? Alan
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit/Intel e5300 cpu/ASRock G41M-LE mainboard/G max4500 onboard graphics/4gigs OCZ 800Mhz ram/ VIA onboard HD Vinyl audio/Yamaha RX-V465 HT receiver/ Cambridge SoundWorks and Infinity RS1001 speakers

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2011 - 03:14 PM

https://www.google.com/search?hl=&q=lost+admin+password+windows+xp&sourceid=navclient-ff&rlz=1B3GGLL_en-GBUS430US394&ie=UTF-8&aq=4&oq=lost+admin+

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 07 November 2011 - 03:33 PM

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01036643&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=4121358&tmp_track_link=ot_search#N42

<<...they don't know the password for the adm...>>

Makes me wonder just who the user is, if not the admin.

FTR: I also note that now deleted post...indicates that it's your system, while the other post indicates that it belongs to this unnamed user who does not have Admin privileges.

Care to clarify?

Louis

#8 audioAl

audioAl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2011 - 05:59 AM

Thanks Hamulis, and yes the HP laptop is not mine, a client's 5 year old child fooled around with the laptop
and now the client can't get into the HP. Looks like they will need a new hard drive, and os disk. Sorry to
write or draft my questions misleadingly. Regards, Alan

#9 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 08 November 2011 - 06:12 AM

Hi -
Please, next time post the question the correct way so that we know the better way to advise you -

Misleading posts lead us to be more careful like ->>Makes me wonder just who the user is, if not the admin.<< from hamluis -
Kids and others lie about these problems and just use these solutions for "bad" reasons -

Regards -

#10 audioAl

audioAl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2011 - 06:10 AM

I researched the suggested sites and gave the client back her HP laptop. I asked her where she bought it? I knew it came from Best Buy.
She told me the same, so I explained to her HP uses the logon as a security measure against theft, and she would have to call HP to
resolve the issue, and they may delete all her data. She paid me a service call fee and was ok with my warning not to use Best Buy or
she would pay $200.00 for what I had just advised her. Thanks for all the replies, Regards, Alan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users