Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bootup problem, plus iTunes/Wireless adapter fun

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Wilburg

Wilburg

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 07 November 2011 - 05:59 AM

Hi all,

I have a Vista PC desktop. Version of Vista is Home Premium SP2. I run Avast Anti-Virus (v 6.0.1289), and have an expired version of Norton Antivirus still on my PC as I haven't yet got around to uninstalling it (can't afford the yearly subscription!).

My PC has been doing very strange things for the past weeks.

1. I am a heavy user of iTunes and have an iPhone4. Suddenly one day my iTunes would take a good 2 minutes to boot up. I would then plug in my iPhone via the USB cable and nothing would happen for a long time, but the PC would freeze. I then get a variety of error messages which result in my iPhone not being seen by iTunes. The PC is going very slow during this phase. However...

2. Because I live in what is essentially a granite room, I struggle with my wireless connectivity. I have a wireless adapter from Netgear (WN111v2) with an extended USB cable which is currently dangling precariously from my ceiling to maximse signal. Often the adapter will just 'crash' (the lights on it will not flash) and the only way to bring it back to life is to disable/enable it from the Control Panel settings in Windows. Once the PC has recognised the adapter, the adapter will only ever locally connect to my wireless network. In order to get access to the internet, I have to go into all the settings of the wireless network and re-enter the network password. Only then will I have internet connectivity. The wireless adapter has a habit of just dropping out at random times (perhaps once/twice a day) and then I have to go through the whole process again in order to reconnect.

3. Ever since I have had the problems in 1, I have noticed that my iPhone will connect whenever my wireless adapter is unplugged from the USB port. Whilst iTunes still loads up very slowly, once loaded my iPhone will almost immediately be recognised. This feels like a USB conflict to me, not sure though. However, once I plug the wireless adapter back in (which I need to do to get internet in order to update my iPhone), the whole system goes slow, iTunes effectively crashes until one of a variety of error messages come up indicating that the iPhone cannot be detected, or the sync services failed etc.

4. This morning my PC crashed and my wallpaper, when rebooted, is black and says in the bottom right hand corner that the version of Windows is not authentic. Upon a restart, my PC would hang before the Windows login page with a black screen. The processor would just tick over and over and nothing would happen. On a further reboot, I was presented with the option of doing a "Hard Disk Fix" via a piece of technical support software which came with my PC when built. This had to be done twice but eventually I am now back into my PC. The wallpaper is still black, although the text about Windows not being authentic has disappeared.

Appreciate the above is a bit non-specific.

Any thoughts anyone?

5. Upon a res

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:18 AM

Please download and install a program called Speccy, then go to File and Publish Snapshot. Please copy and paste the link that is created into your next post.

Your issue is possibly related to a dying hard drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users