Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Warning: Experience at browsing counts

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 03 November 2004 - 04:12 PM

OK. I admit I'm not perfect. I wanted to get to photobucket.com where I have an account. I do not have automatic logon nor bookmarks to help me since I just reloaded the OS. I have just had an automatic reboot of the computer in the middle of posting at the forum. I screenshot the error and want to post it. I google search to get there and mispell "photobuket" Look what happened: newnet redirect One click on this page and I'm off to a site in the newnet part of the Web, where the chances are good I'll end up with extra toolbars and a hijack of my search pages. I shut the window down and spelled my destination right.

BTW, Spybot S&D has excused newnet from it's exclude list in v1.3. You will find it, Sidesearch, My Search & Lop.com are checked as exclude when you download the program, and the rationale given at net-integration is this: "They have made improvements in their practices that mean they aren't as bad as they once were." Hmmm. :thumbsup:

Edited by phawgg, 03 November 2004 - 04:26 PM.

patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 03 November 2004 - 04:43 PM

" OK. I admit I'm not perfect." LOL me neither!

#3 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2004 - 08:06 PM

This taken from today's post link by HarryWaldron
great article on spyware
"Still other forms of spyware are designed so that you neither have to install an application nor click a button. What tends to happen is that a malicious Web page does a good job of baiting a search engine to make it look as though the page contains something interesting. As an alternative, a malicious page may also be placed on a Web site that is a common misspelling for a popular Web site. For example, there are countless malicious Web sites targeting those who misspell google.com.

In either case, a user must simply visit an infected page to become infected with the spyware. Such a page typically makes use of ActiveX controls and exploits weaknesses in Internet Explorer."

I think photobucket states they serve 120 million pictures a day. Now why would a company that is "cleaning up their act" have surfers who misspell photobuket end up at their site? That alone seems kinda cash-driven unscrupulous, wouldn't ya' think? If I wasn't using Firefox it means I might have to spend another X number of minutes before I'm clean again. :thumbsup:

#4 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2004 - 09:26 PM

I like photobcuket! Are you saying there vicious? Did I misunderstand what you said?

#5 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2004 - 10:18 PM

Yes, you did. Please read it again, CGM3. Nothing vicious. Photobucket is a popular site. Newnet isn't. Its just the business of the 'Net.

Edited by phawgg, 03 November 2004 - 10:26 PM.

#6 ColdinCbus

ColdinCbus

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2004 - 11:19 PM

Got a link to where that was posted on net-integration? Just so I can archive it for referance later.

#7 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2004 - 03:41 AM

SideStep, MySearch, LSP.New.net & New.Net excludes
The topic that discussed why they are excluded from the list now, and have been for over a year now, is restricted. The quote below is a reply given by another who was responding to the question of why the 1.3 ships with those four entris on the bad list pre-checked to exclude them from the detection by Spy-bot. He apparently remembered the content of the topic before it was restricted.

New.Net is nothing related to Sasser... at least not the one detected by Spybot. It's the 'browser addon' from www.new.net.
We've been discussing their methods and policies for quite some time, asked for some changes they considered, and New.Net is slowly loosing the spyware
status.
It's similar with MySearch, just that we haven't finished our review on them yet.

There are others. For your archives. :thumbsup:

And my mistake about Lop.com It was Lsp.new.net that was excluded. Sorry. Lop.com was another one on my own PC that had reset to exclude itself at one time. I typically check that list now to see if any new checks appear, because I only have one unchecked...the DSO Exploit that won't go away, and I tire of seeing it every time.

Edited by phawgg, 07 November 2004 - 03:46 AM.

#8 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2004 - 07:45 PM

I might well have called this "Warning, posting experience counts" :thumbsup:

So, to clear it up:
A company decides to make a website that is called "photobuket" which is a misspelling of a site that processes 120 million photos per day. I think they are banking on the odds. They will get traffic there. At a sight that is a "search for" site. Like you need if you can't get where you want to because you misspelled the word. Click anywhere on the page and "you're off and running". For what?

Same company used to be considered "spyware, poor risk".
Now, they are not.
Sorta

I hope I haven't caused too much confusion, as I like photobucket & spybot S&D, too. I use 'em daily.

It should come as no surprise that Spybot S&D themselves had an identity fight with a rip-off company that called itself Spybot after Patrick Kolla had begun his program. Now it's Spybot Search & Destroy, probably an easier answer than a court battle.

Let's hope noone decides to open shop as Bleapingcomputer.com, huh?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users