Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memory usage VERY high

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Dom-oh

Dom-oh

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 06 November 2011 - 10:36 PM

hey guys, my computer has been using alot of memory and cpu usage lately and its mostly from my desktop or the internet. When i check my processes, its mainly explorer and dwm (desktop windows manager) thats using the most. I have ran alot of scans already and no malware was found. The guy advised me to start a new topic in the WIN7 threads. heres a link of all my logs http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic425806.html/page__gopid__2466153#entry2466153

any help would be great, id love to have my cpu running at full speed again

Edited by Dom-oh, 06 November 2011 - 10:38 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 07 November 2011 - 01:29 AM

Maybe you should start managing your startup programs and removing Spybot. Do you have the Mcafee paid or trial version? Do you experience lags when you say your CPU or Memory is high in task manager?

Tekken

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,572 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 07 November 2011 - 08:02 AM

Please post a screenshot of the Processes tab in Task Manager

#4 Dom-oh

Dom-oh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2011 - 12:08 PM

ive had HP manage my startup programs and nothing runs on startup except Mcafee (paid version), spybot and some cursor program called Synaptics pointing device. So do yall reccommend i remove spybot completely from my cpu or just on startup?

heres a screenshot while this webpage is open and a youtube vid playing:
Posted Image

i dont know why it shows 7 google chromes running. i only have one browser up and two tabs open.

then here is a screen shot with no programs open except Mcafee and Synaptics (running in the background):
Posted Image

also, i want to show you guys a screen shot of NetStat:
Posted Image

Edited by Dom-oh, 07 November 2011 - 12:16 PM.

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,572 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2011 - 12:12 PM

One chrome process is using 25% of the cpu. What is running in chrome? And do you actually have 7 tabs open?

#6 Dom-oh

Dom-oh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2011 - 05:52 PM

i put this in my last post but when i took that first screen shot, i had this webpage open (bleepingcomputer) and i had a youtube video playing. and no, i did not have 7 tabs open, i had 2.

i am 100% sure of that too

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,572 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2011 - 06:06 PM

Two suggestions:

1) Try a different browser and see if the problem persists and
2) Run full system scans with BOTH your anti virus app and with MalwareBytes

BTW, in my opinion McAfee products are worthless. I strongly recommend you replace it with ANY other AV.

Edited by Allan, 07 November 2011 - 06:08 PM.

#8 Dom-oh

Dom-oh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2011 - 06:12 PM

i downloaded firefox last night, ill start using that for now on and see if anything changes.
is it necessary to run full scans again? i ran full scans for malwarebytes, SUPERantispyware, minitoolbox and Mcafee saturday night.. if your interested in the results, i posted the link to all those logs in my first post.

only reason i have and still have mcafee is because when i got the CPU, it game with a 3year subscription for it. unless i can get something better for free or very very cheap (close to free), i dont think ill pay for something else while i still have 2 1/2 years left for mcafee

#9 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,572 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2011 - 06:20 PM

In my opinion ANYTHING is better than McAfee - including fee options such as Avira and Avast. Regardless, I'm guessing that when you scanned your system appeared to be virus free?

#10 Dom-oh

Dom-oh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2011 - 06:31 PM

fee options? idk what that means. When i scanned, there were "threats found" but according to the admin who was looking at my logs, he said he found no malware.

#11 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,572 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2011 - 06:37 PM

typo. should have read "free" options

#12 Dom-oh

Dom-oh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2011 - 06:40 PM

oh so you would reccomend Avira or Avast or mcafee?? are there any problems with having 2 AV programs or would u say remove mcafee?

also, the last guy helping me said i have a lot of system errors.. you know what i can do to fix that? and the screenshot of NetStat didnt catch ur attention?

#13 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,572 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2011 - 06:49 PM

1) Yes, there is a problem having more than one AV installed. DO NOT do it.

2) WHAT system errors?

I'm logging off for the evening but I'm sure someone else will try to help. Either way, I'll check back in the morning.

#14 Dom-oh

Dom-oh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2011 - 06:54 PM

ok i definitely wont do that.

not sure exactly what system errors he is talking about but this is the quote

I see no malware. You should start a new topic in the WIN7 forum and see if they can find the issue.
You have a lot of system errors.

#15 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 07 November 2011 - 07:08 PM

Are you just having slow browsing problems or on any offline tasks doing simultaneously? McAfee paid version has a built-in 2 way firewall and so as Microsoft Windows which by default is enabled plus your router. Check on both ends as you cannot run multiple firewalls and I would suggest disabling first from your Mcafee firewall and use the Windows Firewall. While already suggested that uninstalling your current protection software and awaiting for a replacement, try disabling certain features to check on improvements. Other Features included from this link http://download.cnet.com/McAfee-Total-Protection/3000-2239_4-10763479.html
Quoted from the link

Features and support
McAfee provides a solid list of standard security features, from antivirus and anti-malware protection, a two-way firewall, and antispam measures to real-time safeguards, parental controls, and search result rankings

Try disabling the underline security features. Don't forget to enable your Windows firewall.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users