Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstalled Windows Xp, Now Problems That Did Not Have Before Reinstall

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 krazychick214

krazychick214

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 29 January 2006 - 06:48 PM

Hi,

I wiped my system because it was severely affected by viruses and spyware. It worked fine and I had no error messages while installing it. I installed windows XP Service Pack 2. There are two problems.

The first is that when I try to install my DSL software it tells me that I "do not have the network adapter card that is supported by yahoo sbc dsl." However, the DSL software installed and worked just fine before I wiped the system. The step I have taken to fix this is:
1. I put the Dell drivers CD that came with my computer in and attempted to install all the modem drivers. This did not fix the problem.

The second problem is that I can not get the computer resolution to raise so that the screen and everything on it isn't huge. I followed the troubleshooter on the computer, which said to make sure that the monitor listed was the correct monitor. It says default monitor and will not allow me to change that. It will not let me pull down the menu either.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 phantazy

phantazy

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 29 January 2006 - 09:28 PM

Maybe you have different drivers, if you have DSL then this is normally a Usb modem with different properties. The Dell modem might be just for dial-up, and therefore not necessary. Do you have a LAN, and do you have a 1394 network set up as well? What happens when you connect whatever modem you have, does it show in Device Manager? Need for info really, to help you.

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 29 January 2006 - 09:30 PM

If you NIC is a onboard or PCI delete it from the Device Manager and allow Windows to reinstall it at boot. Make sure you have the drivers on hand before you do this. Download and burn to disk if need be.

If USB uninstall the the USB software, unplug the USB device and reinstall it.

You drivers are either not installed or corrupted. I would recommend you do the same as above for it. You could go to the Device Manager and update the video drivers. I would go to the video card's website and download fresh drivers in the event the original drivers were corrupted.

Edited by acklan, 29 January 2006 - 09:31 PM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 29 January 2006 - 09:35 PM

Did you install the motherboard chipset drivers (and others) from the manufacturers CD after the Windows installation?

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#5 krazychick214

krazychick214
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2006 - 11:57 PM

Ok, it is DSL, but not through a USB. I am unsure if I installed the motherboard after the wipe, which probably means that I didn't. I only installed the CD that said drivers and utilities on it. Digging through all my computer stuff I did find a disc that says motherboard chipset on it, but I am not positive it is for the problematic computer. Does it matter?

About the Pci mentioned, the message from the SBC software does say that the Pci card is wrong. Yet, as I said everything worked fine before I wiped the drive. I will try the suggestions for the device manager to see if it works!

Thanks for your help!

#6 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 30 January 2006 - 01:07 AM

I did find a disc that says motherboard chipset on it, but I am not positive it is for the problematic computer. Does it matter?

Yes it matters, you want the specific drivers for your chipset and operating system. It would probably be best to download the latest ones from the mobo manufacturers website to be sure.
Once Windows is given the correct drivers for the mobo it is often able to detect and load a whole raft of otherwise undetected devices e.g. anything on the PCI bus. That sounds like your problem to me.

hth :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#7 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2006 - 01:11 PM

Have you checked your CMOS settings to be sure that your NIC is enabled?

#8 krazychick214

krazychick214
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2006 - 04:39 PM

Have you checked your CMOS settings to be sure that your NIC is enabled?

I don't know what CMOS or NIC means. So I probably have not checked that. Can you give me instructions on how to do it?

Yes it matters, you want the specific drivers for your chipset and operating system. It would probably be best to download the latest ones from the mobo manufacturers website to be sure.
Once Windows is given the correct drivers for the mobo it is often able to detect and load a whole raft of otherwise undetected devices e.g. anything on the PCI bus. That sounds like your problem to me.

The problematic computer is a dell dimension desktop. Where do I find the latest drivers for the chipset and operating system? And how do I get them on to the desktop? Can I burn them onto blank CDs?

#9 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,256 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 15 February 2006 - 04:51 PM

If this is a Dell computer then I have experienced the same problem. I wiped the drive of an Optiplex 170L and reinstalled Windows XP from the Dell CD. I couldn't connect to the internet because the network card drivers weren't installed and the display couldn't be adjusted (was stuck at 800x600 low colors). To solve this problem, all I had to do was go to the Dell website (on a different computer) and download the drivers for the appropriate hardware (Network card and Display adaptor) onto a disk and then update the drivers on the Dell. Afterwhich everything worked fine.

#10 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 16 February 2006 - 08:34 AM

Go to http://support.dell.com/ and create yourself an account. There is a "Service Number" on the case of the computer. Use that number in your profile. They will make available to you all the drivers for that computer.
Download and unzip the driver into a folder. I named mine Dell Drivers. Now go to the device manager and use the update driver butto on the NIC to install the new drivers. Do the same for any other devices that are not working properly.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users