Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CD/DVD doesn't work

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 lonewolfette9847

lonewolfette9847

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 06 November 2011 - 05:07 PM

I have an HP Pavilion dv8000 running XP SP3 that I bought in 2003 with the combo CD/DVD drive (Pioneer DVDRW DVR-K16) & I'd been basically using the laptop for streaming internet radio for the last few year. I just recently used the Recover partition to wipe it clean. I just tried the disc drive for the first time in years just the other day & it won't recognize any disc. I'd attempted to load printer drivers last night & had to use a USB drive to do so.

Any ideas on things I can do, short of taking it to Best Buy's Geek Squad? (I had them help me with something similar a few years ago with a different laptop.)

It isn't pertinent that I get the drive working, but it would be nice.

Thanks.

Edited by lonewolfette9847, 06 November 2011 - 05:09 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 06 November 2011 - 05:14 PM

You can try MS Fixit, Optical Drives - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982116 .

Louis

#3 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 06 November 2011 - 05:29 PM

If the above post doesnt work. Hit the windows key and pause, at the same time.(THIS WILL OPEN DEVICE MANAGER) Are there any yellow question marks next to anything??
If so what are they?
Your computers drivers
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=228&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=500449#N616

The Pioneer DVDRW DVR-K16 driver If drivers are indeed the issue.
http://drivers.softpedia.com/progDownload/Pioneer-DVR-K16-142-Download-16495.html

Please let us know if this info is useful for you. :)

Edited by InadequateInfirmity, 06 November 2011 - 05:53 PM.

#4 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2011 - 08:25 PM

If the notebook's CD/DVD drive hasn't been used in a long time, you might try opening the drive and cleaning the laser lens (easily seen on notebook drives) with a little alcohol. Next, try inserting a bootable CD/DVD after setting your computer to boot first from CD/DVD, and see if it is recognized during boot-up. This would help rule out a "bad" CD/DVD drive.

Regards,
Brooks

#5 lonewolfette9847

lonewolfette9847
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2011 - 10:51 PM

Thank you all, I shall be attempting these within the next few days & let you know how goes it.

#6 lonewolfette9847

lonewolfette9847
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2011 - 01:07 AM

It's been a while, but... I think the drive is toast.

I ended up wiping out XP & loaded Ubuntu & even the Ubuntu bootable couldn't be read.

Would excessive heat from the laptop running possibly do that to an optical drive? When running Windows, the laptop's fan would run on high constantly & thus make most of the keyboard quite warm. (Matter of fact, the XP recovery cds shut the laptop down to the point where I couldn't reload XP. That was when I decided to move away from Windows on it.)

My Dell Inspiron is running fairly warm (as I leave it on playing WinAmp almost all the time). I'm a little worried I might toast that drive too if it can happen by excessive warmth.

Edited by lonewolfette9847, 17 December 2011 - 01:10 AM.

#7 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 17 December 2011 - 02:23 AM

I think 8 years of not opening or using the drive might have caught up with you. An external USB powered optical drive might be more practical in your case. Check your ventillations if they are not being blocked or while using any laptop.

Tekken

#8 lonewolfette9847

lonewolfette9847
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2011 - 03:59 PM

I'm thinking it's a combination of all of the above. When I "replaced" the laptop with others (maybe around 2007) I no longer used the optical drive because I wasn't loading anything new onto it.

Yeah, I have an external drive handy (made from an old tower optical drive) & have been using that.

Thanks everyone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users