Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hardware Reserved Memory and Freezing

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Mojinko

Mojinko

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 06 November 2011 - 04:27 PM

This weekend I got home and set my laptop up, started playing a game, and it froze up on me. I didn't think too much of it, restarted, went on youtube, and a few videos later, it hung up again. This time however, it resumed after a while of stuttering. Since then I have had three other hangups just this weekend that I had to restart from. I was looking through my explorer and noticed that under my System tab it showed my RAM as 4GB (3GB usable) so I started looking into this. I never remember this being this way. Under my resource manager, it is showing 1025mb reserved for hardware, which seems very strange. My graphics card is dedicated, so I have no clue what would be causing this.

So my computer is using approx 1/2 of my RAM all the time just doing basic tasks, and it freezes up quite often if i start doing memory intensive things like classwork.
Googling the issue showed a few people talking about reformatting their computers or remapping their memory in bios. I did reformat a few weeks ago, but I don't know that the issue stems from there. There is no memory mapping option in my bios, so that's out. I actually decided to reformat again today to see if it helped, and this time I completely reset my harddrive instead of just reinstalling windows, but it still didn't fix the issue.

I've run windows memory diagnostic, and it says there is no issue. Memtest86 I had running for about 8 hours last night, no errors reported but it lists my memory as 3017MB, not 4096MB like it should be..

If one of my RAM cards were dead, would it show up in my System tab? Why would that cause it to be under reserved? What else could be the cause here? Doubting it's software related at this point since I just completely reformatted my computer.

Win 7 64,
4 GB RAM
ASUS N70SV laptop
Intel Core Duo 2.66GHZ T9550
nvidia 130M

Edit: Suppose it may be worth something to mention the reinstalling of windows a few weeks back was due to multiple blue screens messing up my registry.

Edited by Mojinko, 06 November 2011 - 04:34 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 08 November 2011 - 05:19 AM

Memtest86 I had running for about 8 hours last night, no errors reported but it lists my memory as 3017MB, not 4096MB like it should be..

Hi -
It seems that you are OK with playing a bit with your computer from the post.
I would prefer it if you could run Memtest86 with only one stick of RAM installed, and then repeat it.

>>it lists my memory as 3017MB, not 4096MB like it should be.. << Do you mean there are 4 sticks of RAM.
If one stick is not regestering this will find it, and you can then replace it.
Single stick tests should not take quite as long, since a bad one will show up quicker.

Regards -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users