Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Power Connections

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 06 November 2011 - 03:47 PM

After recently repairing several laptop power connections I have a few tips to help avoid problems.
I have observed allot of users use their laptops, in their laps, and in their easy chair. If you generally leave your laptop plugged in all the time this can pose a risk. The charging plug protrudes from the sides and depending on the position of the laptop pressure can be applied to the plug causing strain on the jack, plug and cord. Common problems arising from this are: Bending of the surrounding ground contacts in the power jack on the laptop (this is caused by pressure being applied in various directions over a period of time) the most common symptom is having to apply upward/downward pressure to the plug to get the laptop to charge. Breaking of the wires inside the power cord near the plug. This is generally caused by frequent sharp bending of the cord near the plug causing fatigue and eventually breakage. Common symptom is having to "jiggle the cord" to get the laptop to charge. Damage to the center pin or pins (bent, broke, or broken solder joints to the wiring inside). This is again caused by frequent pressure to the plug itself. Common symptom are gradual increase of force needed to plug in the laptop,or the laptop will not charge at all. If your laptop is kept near your favorite seat in the living room ( As mine is always next to my recliner if its not with me) and you commonly leave it plugged in. Be cautious when returning the laptop to the floor, so as to not place it power plug down or allow it to rest on the plug before laying flat. Steps you can take to prolong your power connection: Go green charge your laptop when your not using it, and unplug it when its done charging or when your using it (unplug the brick from the wall too!). The battery is designed to be charged and depleted repeatedly (If it uses a NiCd pack you should run the laptop as low as possible without the laptop shutting down before recharging). Should you run out of battery power during use, use caution when handling the laptop with the charging plug connected, allow the laptop to recharge after your done, and again unplug the laptop and the power brick when its charged. Use a lap desk, cooling pad or similar device that supports the laptop evenly when the charging plug is connected. These also have the added effect of keeping the laptop cooler since its not fighting body heat from your legs.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 06 November 2011 - 06:44 PM

exactly how my daughter broke the one on the compaq q50, .and the replacement one is going the same way , happens to more than just laptops ,

,my 2006 Pontiac G5's main power harness is too short and the stress caused it to diss connect slightly and i loose power [off and on ] while driving down the road ,very scary

My answers are my opinion only,usually

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users