Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Making A Business Website

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 reddrose

reddrose

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 AM

Posted 29 January 2006 - 06:32 PM

Hi there! :thumbsup:

I'm not sure where to start with this, so I'll go from the beginning...

I live on an organic vegtable farm, where we sell our vegtables via CSA format. The gist of this is that people pay a set amount in the beggining of a year, then come to pick up their "share" of vegtables every week for that year. To help with this, we have a website: www.gardenpatchfarm.com. The site was set up by a friend that has moved from my area- it is now maintianed by my mother using her computer.

Now, recently, we have been entertaining the idea of shipping vegtables to people- using the internet as a resource. My parents have thought it a good idea for me to start my own business doing this (as a subsidiary of Garden Patch Farm).

I have...well, you might as well say no experience in putting up a web site. However, for this idea to work, I am going to need one. :flowers:

What I need from you: advice!

Where do I start? What program(s) do you suggest? How much do you think I will need to accomplish and maintain this website goal?

I am looking to create a pleasant, informative website under my own name (i.e, not someoneelse/mysite.com). I will need a e-mail account under this site name as well.

I'm not sure what else I may need, but I am trying to learn! I appreciate any advice you may have. :trumpet:

Thank you!

Edit: Er, did I put this in the right spot, and if not, how can I move it?

Edited by reddrose, 29 January 2006 - 09:12 PM.

Always acknowledge a fault. This will throw those in authority off their guard and give you an opportunity to commit more.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Falu

Falu

• Security Colleague
  • 3,001 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 30 January 2006 - 09:17 AM

Hi reddrose,

A very good start might be the HP Learning Center: click here!

It is free, it is good (I know from experience) and the courses only take some weeks to complete. They learn you about html, which I recommend to start with, but alsdo courses to build a website or work with specific software e.g. Dreamweaver.

By the way there are alternatives available at the internet: google for them but HP is a very good start.

Good luck with your site and business.

#3 reddrose

reddrose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 AM

Posted 30 January 2006 - 09:32 PM

Wow! Thank you! I only briefly looked over the site so far, but I know it's going to be a great help.

If anyone else has any more information, be sure to let me know!
Always acknowledge a fault. This will throw those in authority off their guard and give you an opportunity to commit more.

#4 ColdinCbus

ColdinCbus

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 01 February 2006 - 05:44 PM

And once you get comfortable with html and php, you are going to need some sort of shopping cart/billing and shipping interface for the web site. Here is a list premade ones available http://www.hotscripts.com/PHP/Scripts_and_...arts/index.html

Edited by ColdinCbus, 01 February 2006 - 06:13 PM.

#5 atldan

atldan

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 07 February 2006 - 10:57 PM

Another easy and typically low cost for shopping cart/secure transactions etc. is good old Yahoo
They provide Yahoo SiteBuilder to build and offer several levels of e-commerce, from starter on up.
I have been able to teach my wife everything after I did the designs etc. and she is having no problems with her own store.
SiteBuilder is a basic WYSIWYG html program but integrates great with their Yahoo Store concept. Dreamweaver and Frontpage are supposedly compatible too if you need more punch-haven't tested that yet but supposed to work.
Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users