Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Poll: Glary Utilities vs. YL WinUtilities

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

Poll: Poll: Glary Utilities vs. YL WinUtilities (2 member(s) have cast votes)

What's better: Glary Utilities or YL WinUtilities?

1. Glary Utilities (Freeware) (2 votes [100.00%])

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

2. YL WinUtilities (Freeware) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote

#1 rhino1366

rhino1366

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 06 November 2011 - 02:46 PM

Hello.

There's two great software packages... Glary Utilities, and YL WinUtilities.

I want to know what you guys prefer more. Both products are great; personally, when I choose, I take a first look at registry cleaner module... if it's safe or not. Close to that, HDD defragmentator stands as well. And, let's not forget about one really useful thing - Uninstall Manager. As far as I know, only Auslogics' Boost Speed has a "silent uninstall" feature.

Well, that's it. Vote! :)

P.S. Recently, at cnet.download.com, iolo's System Mechanic FREEWARE appeared; as for now, no one knows for sure if it's their genuine product, or just a viral fake. If someone can confirm - please, do so. WOW... iolo goes freeware as well (cheers).

Edited by rhino1366, 06 November 2011 - 02:48 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,526 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 06 November 2011 - 03:35 PM

For the record:

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

• Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.

• Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.

• Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.

• Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.

• The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 rhino1366

rhino1366
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2011 - 05:45 PM

OK, many thanks Animal... but I still want to see how people will vote on this. :thumbup2:

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,526 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2011 - 06:56 PM

Not a problem seeing the results. I just felt obligated to post Bleeping Computers stance on these kinds of tools.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#5 rhino1366

rhino1366
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:35 AM

Man... how to bring more people in here? I wanna see more votes.

I've already found info that YL WinUtilities has a bit better Drive Cleaner.

LINK TO THIS TOPIC

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,526 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2011 - 11:11 AM

Most people I know prefer to use tools specific for a utility function as opposed to the bundled optimzers/cleaners.

This way you have more control over what is cleaned/defragmented/optimized/deleted.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#7 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 10 November 2011 - 11:51 AM

The reason you're not getting any responses is the correct answer is neither. Most of the regulars around here have enough sense to know not to use this kind of product. Period.

#8 rhino1366

rhino1366
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2011 - 12:52 PM

If you don't like - doesn't mean nobody uses.

Edited by rhino1366, 10 November 2011 - 12:53 PM.

#9 rhino1366

rhino1366
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2011 - 12:54 PM

@Animal...

Yes, I do so too, I use specialized products as well.

I'm still in a search of one perfect bundle, that will work great for me on all fronts. :)

Edited by rhino1366, 10 November 2011 - 12:55 PM.

#10 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,526 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2011 - 01:06 PM

There's two great software packages... Glary Utilities, and YL WinUtilities.

I'm still in a search of one perfect bundle, that will work great for me on all fronts. :)

I don't think that either one of the two choices offered is that 'perfect' bundle. In all honesty I think every 'bundle' has at least one downside or negative to be avoided. Hence my earlier individualized tool approach mentioned.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users