Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus crashing Anti-Virus Software

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 renme

renme

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 06 November 2011 - 01:46 PM

Okay, so I've been trying to get rid of this virus for two straight days now. It started as a fake Anti-Virus software called "Privacy Protection" and I thought I solved the problem by deleting the privacy.exe from the registry. I was wrong, very wrong. It might have solved the issue of the fake ware popping up after the start up and flooding my screen with fake virus messages, but it disabled my windows firewall, the ability to use task manager (it pops up, but only shows the tasks currently open. No processes, services, ect;), disables any anti-viral software (even in safe mode which I am currently in), won't let me use firefox (only Internet Explorer) and basically has made my life a living hell.
When I go to click on my Anti-Virus software icon on the desktop it no longer has a normal icon, but just a midget application screen and when clicked on it says the following:
"Windows cannot access the specifed device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access the item."
When I go to my security settings to try to turn on my firewall I get the following message:
"Windows Security Center: Security Center can't turn on Windows Firewall"
Trying to turn it on manually I get this message:
"Windows Firewall was unable to make the requested updates"

I've tried PC Tool SpyDoctor, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Trojen Killer, SuperAntiSpyware, ect; Here's what happens. I'll download the file fine, install the file fine, but when I go to scan my computer POOF it closes. No prompt saying it crashed, nothing. It just closes just in the process. With PC Tool SpyDoctor it just freezes at about 56%. I've tried doing everything in normal mode, as well as safemode with networking. This virus is driving me nuts. Please, please, someone tell me how to get rid of this thing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT:

Okay, so I ran TDSS from Kaspersky and it found the virus and removed it. I then scanned my computer with SUPERAntiSpyware and it deleted over 1000 entries then restarted. Good news is I can run some programs. Bad news is when I click on Malwarebytes Anti-Virus to scan it wont pop up to scan and when I click on my firefox to start it wont even open the application. So what do I do now?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT:
Uninstalled then reinstalled Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and ran the scan (took over three hours). Found 7 threats and removed them all. My computer is now running like it was before! Feel free to remove this post as my problem has now been solved :]

Edited by renme, 06 November 2011 - 07:58 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users